This is Sayan from India.
My profile is as follows:
Name: Sayan Bhattacharjya
Nationality: India
Secondary: 83%
High school: 65%
Graduation (Biomedical engineering from tier 2 college): 7.2 CGPA IN 10
Post graduation (PGDBM in Marketing from tier 2 college): 72%
Work experiance: 6 yr 10 months in FMCG brand management. Currently working at Unilever as Assistant Brand Manager. Rated high consistently in work.
Current salary 16 lacs p.a. which is equivalent to 95,000 USD on PPP terms.

Extra curicullam activity:
- Worked for NGO in teaching unprivileged children b for a year.
- Currently working on a personal project of aggregating photographers on a single platform.

I am feeling that my education from tier 2 colleges is slowing down my career progress and reducing my earning potential. Thus want to pursue further education. Moreover I am keen on having my career in Consultancy.

Appeared for GMAT last week with one month preparation. Scored low (660 q47 v34).

Now my questions are:
1. What kind of course should I look at and from which kind of colleges to fulfill my objectives? I am not keen on doing 2 year MBA.

2. Should I aim for second attempt in GMAT? I am sure I can score at least 20-30 points better than my current score.

Thanking u in advance.

Regards,
Sayan B

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:27 am
Hi @Smokie! We are new to getting back on line here at BeattheGMAT for StratusPrep. If you are still looking to apply for R1 2016/2017 and beyond this information can still be useful:
So your work experience as an assistant brand manager at Unilever makes you a little more interesting from an admissions perspective as so many from India have engineering work backgrounds. Your education is not setting you apart, nor is your GMAT. And you are in a very competitive school. You don't mention if you want US or not- but for 1 yr programs some top international programs are here:
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45eff ... 77233133fc

For US programs, here's a list to start with:
https://find-mba.com/lists/other-top-bus ... -in-the-us
I think Kellogg is great- but you will need to retake GMAT for that, you might also look at USC, Emory, Cornell, Notre Dame and SMU.

But I think you will be short selling yourself if you don't take the time to just redo the GMAT. I know it is a pain, but if you really want to advance your career you want to give yourself the best shot at a top program. And you want to switch to consulting- and I am assumming MBB like everyone else-- for that you will need the strongest GMAT you can get-- so there are no shortcuts! As far as how can we help- well we can help you really leverage your Unilever experiences because that's going to help you stand out. We can help you identify the themes that will resonate with admissions committeees at the top programs. PM me or go to our StratusPrep website for a free consult! Best wishes to you!
smokie wrote:Hi,
First of all greetings to all.

This is Sayan from India.
My profile is as follows:
Name: Sayan Bhattacharjya
Nationality: India
Secondary: 83%
High school: 65%
Graduation (Biomedical engineering from tier 2 college): 7.2 CGPA IN 10
Post graduation (PGDBM in Marketing from tier 2 college): 72%
Work experiance: 6 yr 10 months in FMCG brand management. Currently working at Unilever as Assistant Brand Manager. Rated high consistently in work.
Current salary 16 lacs p.a. which is equivalent to 95,000 USD on PPP terms.

Extra curicullam activity:
- Worked for NGO in teaching unprivileged children b for a year.
- Currently working on a personal project of aggregating photographers on a single platform.

I am feeling that my education from tier 2 colleges is slowing down my career progress and reducing my earning potential. Thus want to pursue further education. Moreover I am keen on having my career in Consultancy.

Appeared for GMAT last week with one month preparation. Scored low (660 q47 v34).

Now my questions are:
1. What kind of course should I look at and from which kind of colleges to fulfill my objectives? I am not keen on doing 2 year MBA.

2. Should I aim for second attempt in GMAT? I am sure I can score at least 20-30 points better than my current score.

Thanking u in advance.

Regards,
Sayan B

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 am
Hi Sayan... aka Smokie! Not sure if my comments went through as I don't see my post-
Which is too bad because I really thought about your situation. If you can't see my first response- let me go ahead and hit the highlights again here:

For top 1 yr MBA programs in US- I was suggesting Kellogg (if you retake GMAT), Emory, Cornell, Notre Dame and look at SMU

For retaking the GMAT? YES! Sorry... but if you want to switch from marketing to consulting and even considering MBB consulting then you want highest GMAT you can score. It will also help you get into a better program. In your favor is the Unilever work, but to overcome are meh-meh academics, GMAT and tough pool. We can help you devise a strategy to put your best foot forward- free consults are at StratusPrep.com