Please evaluate: GMAT 690, consulting

Launched June 1, 2012
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate: GMAT 690, consulting

by plkv » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:15 am
Hi all,

My name is Alex. I am 27, white male from Eastern European country.

GMAT 690 (q50,v33, IR 8, AWA 5)
work exp: 3 years as an actuary at PWC, 2 years as consultant at A.T. Kearney in Eastern Europe.
GPA 3.6 (out of 4) from top 3 university in my country, majoring in applied math
Goal: short-term - Big 3 management consulting firm (financial services practice), mid-term - establish own strategic actuarial consulting company in my country (focus on insurance)
Black belt in Karate

I am applying to Booth, LBS, Stern, UCLA, Darden. What are my chances at these schools?

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:48 pm
Hi Alex! We're ramping up again on BeattheGMAT and I see that you asked this question some time ago so it may be that you are already having the answer about your chances at these schools you targeted. If so, congratulations and hope you enjoy B school. If, however, you have not yet been successful and are targeting R1 for this upcoming season- we may be able to help you. For big 3 consulting I would say your stats are a little light and if I had to guess I would say you may have played out most favorably at UCLA or perhaps Stern. In your favor is that your applicant pool from Eastern Europe is not as populated as from Asia so you may have a less crowded path. Your work experience is right in target zone and your GPA is very solid. If you are interested in taking a more strategic and holistic look at the process this year- after all you are a consultant :), you may want to consider working with a consultant. What we can do is challenge you on your "WHY"- for both the MBA itself and the programs you seek. Right now, there's a lot of vanilla in the statements below and so it is really hard to comment much except to say MBB consulting and a 690 are not completely on same page. But we can help you break out of the pack by uncovering the best story inside of you- we have counselors with experience at the schools you seek and we also have admissions understanding of what pops most about you in presenting yourself as a candidate to these programs. I hope you have already been successful- but if you are still looking at Fall 2016 applications please reach out to our website at StratusPrep.com or PM to learn more with a free consult!
plkv wrote:Hi all,

My name is Alex. I am 27, white male from Eastern European country.

GMAT 690 (q50,v33, IR 8, AWA 5)
work exp: 3 years as an actuary at PWC, 2 years as consultant at A.T. Kearney in Eastern Europe.
GPA 3.6 (out of 4) from top 3 university in my country, majoring in applied math
Goal: short-term - Big 3 management consulting firm (financial services practice), mid-term - establish own strategic actuarial consulting company in my country (focus on insurance)
Black belt in Karate

I am applying to Booth, LBS, Stern, UCLA, Darden. What are my chances at these schools?

Thank you!