percentage & numbers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

percentage & numbers

by Uri » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 am
In a certain office, 50% of the employees are college graduates and 60% of the employees are over 40 years old. If 30% of those over 40 years old have master's degrees, how many of the employees over 40 have master's degrees?

(1) Exactly 100 of the employees are college graduates.
(2) Of the employees 40 years old or less, 25% have master's degrees.

The problem is quite simple. But I am confused with (2). Had it been a PS question, I would not have been able to match the information, with stem (2).

As per the main problem, I can find information as depicted in the table below.

But stem (2) replaces the 32% (written in red colour in the table) with 25%. This is confusing me. Can you please check whether I have made any mistake?

Source: GMAT OG 10th Ed
OA: [spoiler](A)[/spoiler]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

Re: percentage & numbers

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:19 am
Uri wrote:In a certain office, 50% of the employees are college graduates and 60% of the employees are over 40 years old. If 30% of those over 40 years old have master's degrees, how many of the employees over 40 have master's degrees?

(1) Exactly 100 of the employees are college graduates.
(2) Of the employees 40 years old or less, 25% have master's degrees.

The problem is quite simple. But I am confused with (2). Had it been a PS question, I would not have been able to match the information, with stem (2).

As per the main problem, I can find information as depicted in the table below.

But stem (2) replaces the 32% (written in red colour in the table) with 25%. This is confusing me. Can you please check whether I have made any mistake?

Source: GMAT OG 10th Ed
OA: [spoiler](A)[/spoiler]
There's a slight problem with your double matrix.
You are assuming that, if 50% are college graduates, then the other 50% must have their Master's degree. It turns out that we need 3 columns: College Graduate, Master's Degree, and Other.
Try that and you'll find that there isn't a contradiction with this problem.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by Uri » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:48 am
thanks for the insight. thinking this way removes my dilemma. now i can find the answer, without bothering about some missing details.