I.R. Prep. resources...

This topic has expert replies
User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 194
Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Location: India
Thanked: 26 times
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

I.R. Prep. resources...

by vomhorizon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:53 pm
What do you guys consider as the best source for IR prep ? I am giving myself around 10-12 days to prep for IR, and intend on using the OG13 questions paired with the MGMAT IR book. Do you guys think it is enough time (total of around 20-25 hours of prep) .
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 645
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Location: US
Thanked: 527 times
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:52 pm
vomhorizon wrote:What do you guys consider as the best source for IR prep ? I am giving myself around 10-12 days to prep for IR, and intend on using the OG13 questions paired with the MGMAT IR book. Do you guys think it is enough time (total of around 20-25 hours of prep) .
Hi,

e-GMAT has recently launched a full-fledged course on IR with 15+ hours of interactive audio visual content on IR. It encompasses 35 concepts, 120+ original questions, and 2 full length Mock Tests. Click on START FREE TRIAL to avail free concepts.

Click https://e-gmat.com/courses_ir.php to know more.

Feel free to ask in case of any queries.

Thanks!
-Shalabh Jain

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Thanked: 132 times
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:35 pm
vomhorizon wrote:What do you guys consider as the best source for IR prep ? I am giving myself around 10-12 days to prep for IR, and intend on using the OG13 questions paired with the MGMAT IR book. Do you guys think it is enough time (total of around 20-25 hours of prep) .
Can I ask you a somewhat leading question? Are you scoring 800 regularly on your quant/verbal section of the exam? I ask that simply because, knowing the realities of most students, if I had a free 25 hours to invest in studying, I don't know that I'd put them into the IR section. Just my $0.02 -- more than happy to chat more there.

In the meantime, take a look at attached -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... reasoning/ -- gives some great overview/tips about how to think about attacking the IR section.

Best of luck!

-Brian
_________________
Brian Lange
Instructor, Manhattan GMAT
Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 194
Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Location: India
Thanked: 26 times
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 am
brianlange77 wrote:
vomhorizon wrote:What do you guys consider as the best source for IR prep ? I am giving myself around 10-12 days to prep for IR, and intend on using the OG13 questions paired with the MGMAT IR book. Do you guys think it is enough time (total of around 20-25 hours of prep) .
Can I ask you a somewhat leading question? Are you scoring 800 regularly on your quant/verbal section of the exam? I ask that simply because, knowing the realities of most students, if I had a free 25 hours to invest in studying, I don't know that I'd put them into the IR section. Just my $0.02 -- more than happy to chat more there.

In the meantime, take a look at attached -- https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... reasoning/ -- gives some great overview/tips about how to think about attacking the IR section.

Best of luck!

-Brian
Thanks for your response... When i charted down my prep for the GMAT (months ago when i started my prep) I had given myself 25 hours over the last 10-12 days for the IR .. Back then IR was very new and i had not received either the OG 13 or the MGMAT IR Guide... The reason I am asking now is that i am currently looking for a better estimate on what should be an adequate time allocation towards IR given a) The fact that its importance in overall admission is still not that clear b) not a whole lot of prep material or reviews are available... I get from your reply that i should look to cut down the time that i had planned by a considerable ammount??
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Thanked: 132 times
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:05 pm
vomhorizon wrote:Thanks for your response... When i charted down my prep for the GMAT (months ago when i started my prep) I had given myself 25 hours over the last 10-12 days for the IR .. Back then IR was very new and i had not received either the OG 13 or the MGMAT IR Guide... The reason I am asking now is that i am currently looking for a better estimate on what should be an adequate time allocation towards IR given a) The fact that its importance in overall admission is still not that clear b) not a whole lot of prep material or reviews are available... I get from your reply that i should look to cut down the time that i had planned by a considerable ammount??
Vom:
I think you are on the right track there. I'd encourage you to be comfortable with the section, know the question formats, and have some practice under your belt. Ultimately though, your goal should be maximizing score on quant/verbal and not worry as much about IR. Don't neglect it, but consider a reallocation of resources.
Make sense?
-Brian
_________________
Brian Lange
Instructor, Manhattan GMAT
Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 194
Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Location: India
Thanked: 26 times
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:29 pm
Thanks .. I will be cutting down my prep time considerably. I'll first finish the MGMAT strategy guide (should take me a few hours as it is not all that big) and then answer a few questions to see where i stand. If i am fairly confident i'll go ahead and spend a few hours to do the free questions from the OG13 and that would be it. Should take no more then 6-8 hours total .
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Thanked: 132 times
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 pm
vomhorizon wrote:Thanks .. I will be cutting down my prep time considerably. I'll first finish the MGMAT strategy guide (should take me a few hours as it is not all that big) and then answer a few questions to see where i stand. If i am fairly confident i'll go ahead and spend a few hours to do the free questions from the OG13 and that would be it. Should take no more then 6-8 hours total .
Great Vom -- Let me know how that nets out and send me a note back here after you spend that 6-8 hours and let me know how it goes.
Thanks.
-brian
_________________
Brian Lange
Instructor, Manhattan GMAT
Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 194
Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Location: India
Thanked: 26 times
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm
Brian, How much time do you recommend per prompt for IR? I am working on IR questions from Question Pack 1 (Working the easier ones first and then moving on to the medium - hard difficulty level). For the easy questions i usually take anywhere from 1.5-3 minutes per prompt depending upon the no. of questions as well as the reading and calculations required, but for some of the medium difficulty questions i really need 4-5 minutes per prompt. I have been advised by those that have taken the IR section to focus 100% on around 8-9 of the prompts (allot around 25 minutes to 8 prompts) and work very very fast on the the remaining 3-4 ... Basically picking up the types where you are reasonably confident that you can get 100% accuracy if you take your time..Is this a decent strategy or should i focus on answering 100% of the prompts with equal time allocation??
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Thanked: 132 times
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:07 pm
vomhorizon wrote:Brian, How much time do you recommend per prompt for IR? I am working on IR questions from Question Pack 1 (Working the easier ones first and then moving on to the medium - hard difficulty level). For the easy questions i usually take anywhere from 1.5-3 minutes per prompt depending upon the no. of questions as well as the reading and calculations required, but for some of the medium difficulty questions i really need 4-5 minutes per prompt. I have been advised by those that have taken the IR section to focus 100% on around 8-9 of the prompts (allot around 25 minutes to 8 prompts) and work very very fast on the the remaining 3-4 ... Basically picking up the types where you are reasonably confident that you can get 100% accuracy if you take your time..Is this a decent strategy or should i focus on answering 100% of the prompts with equal time allocation??
Not to over-simplify, but I'd think about it more as a target of 2:30/question, rather than trying to come up with a time per prompt. You should be able to get that done. Aim to get at least 9-10 right... then you should be good.

Let me know if that helps.

-Brian
_________________
Brian Lange
Instructor, Manhattan GMAT
Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 194
Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Location: India
Thanked: 26 times
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 pm
Thanks brian. So you would agree that we should aim at getting 9-10 prompts right? I have heard that that those that do well in around 8 prompts are good enough for a 7, i am aiming for a score above 5 (to be safe) but do not want to rush through each prompt thereby psyching myself out before the big QUANT section that is my weak area.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Thanked: 132 times
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:10 pm
vomhorizon wrote:Thanks brian. So you would agree that we should aim at getting 9-10 prompts right? I have heard that that those that do well in around 8 prompts are good enough for a 7, i am aiming for a score above 5 (to be safe) but do not want to rush through each prompt thereby psyching myself out before the big QUANT section that is my weak area.
This might sound obvious to say, but I think you should aim to get them ALL right. Focus on getting as many right as you can, but, just as on the more important part of the test... don't spend too long on a problem that you don't feel confident about getting correct.

Thoughts?

-Brian
_________________
Brian Lange
Instructor, Manhattan GMAT
Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 194
Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Location: India
Thanked: 26 times
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:43 pm
Thanks , I will do my best. Although early in my IR prep, i have taken 2 full lenght CAT's with IR (One by Kaplan and other by Veritas Prep) I found pressed for time in the Kaplan but part of it had to do with the interface etc . I scored a 2 on Kaplan and 6 on Veritas Prep so i have some time to go before i can get consistent with my score.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Thanked: 132 times
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:29 pm
vomhorizon wrote:Thanks , I will do my best. Although early in my IR prep, i have taken 2 full lenght CAT's with IR (One by Kaplan and other by Veritas Prep) I found pressed for time in the Kaplan but part of it had to do with the interface etc . I scored a 2 on Kaplan and 6 on Veritas Prep so i have some time to go before i can get consistent with my score.
Vom,
Grand scheme of things -- still many other more important parts of the exam, and of course, your total application package. Just keep that in mind. Essentially, there are PLENTY of other places to stress out before you invest crazy amounts of time here.
-Brian
_________________
Brian Lange
Instructor, Manhattan GMAT
Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)