A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM)

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members
Hi folks,

Here is a tricky 2 part question on Multi Level Marketing company (MLM).

A Multi Level Marketing company (MLM) builds its business through sponsorship with the company associates. An associate is rewarded a commission based on how much business is generated in his group i.e. people under him.
A new associate joins the business at the level immediately below his/her sponsor associate .
The business generated by an associate is termed as 'Individual Points', while total (or sum of ) business generated by the associate's group (including him) is termed as 'Cumulative Points'.
The associate's 'Commission Points' equals 'Cumulative Points' of associate's group less Maximum 'Cumulative Points' generated by any of the associates directly under him.
Pat is one such company associate, who has 3 levels of hierarchy under him.
Pat's 'level 1' (i.e. directly under Pat) has 2 associates, 'level 2' (associates directly under any of the level 1 associates) has 5 associates, & 'level 3' has 1 associate. In a particular month, Pat and each of his group associates have generated individual business worth 100 points.

Based on the information provided, select the maximum, & minimum possible values for 'Commission Points' for Pat, in the table. Different hierarchical structures of the associates in the group can lead to different values of 'Commission Points'.

Make only two selections, one in each column.

-Shalabh

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:500

by BTG14 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 am
Minimum-100
Maximum-600

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:09 pm
Milan wrote:Minimum-100
Maximum-600
Hi Milan,

I am afraid this is not the correct answer.Pl. apply logic on how to allocate associates to Level 1 & 2 associates.

-Shalabh

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey Guys,

My answer:

Minimum : 200 (I tried maximizing one branch under Pat thus calculation is 900 -700 =200)
Maximum : 500 (I tried minimizing one branch under Pat thus calculation is 900 -400 =200)

Regards,
Ashu
e-GMAT wrote:Hi folks,

Here is a tricky 2 part question on Multi Level Marketing company (MLM).

A Multi Level Marketing company (MLM) builds its business through sponsorship with the company associates. An associate is rewarded a commission based on how much business is generated in his group i.e. people under him.
A new associate joins the business at the level immediately below his/her sponsor associate .
The business generated by an associate is termed as 'Individual Points', while total (or sum of ) business generated by the associate's group (including him) is termed as 'Cumulative Points'.
The associate's 'Commission Points' equals 'Cumulative Points' of associate's group less Maximum 'Cumulative Points' generated by any of the associates directly under him.
Pat is one such company associate, who has 3 levels of hierarchy under him.
Pat's 'level 1' (i.e. directly under Pat) has 2 associates, 'level 2' (associates directly under any of the level 1 associates) has 5 associates, & 'level 3' has 1 associate. In a particular month, Pat and each of his group associates have generated individual business worth 100 points.

Based on the information provided, select the maximum, & minimum possible values for 'Commission Points' for Pat, in the table. Different hierarchical structures of the associates in the group can lead to different values of 'Commission Points'.

Make only two selections, one in each column.

-Shalabh

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
ashut27 wrote:Hey Guys,

My answer:

Minimum : 200 (I tried maximizing one branch under Pat thus calculation is 900 -700 =200)
Maximum : 500 (I tried minimizing one branch under Pat thus calculation is 900 -400 =200)

Regards,
Ashu
e-GMAT wrote:Hi folks,

Hi ashut,

That's the correct answer.

Meanwhile, dont forget to attend the SC session on Saturday. Please find the link below:

-Shalabh

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Perfectus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Can anyone explain what this problem is talking about?

I'm very confused...

I read the problem as:
pat's commission points = "total cumulative points of all his associates" - "max commutative points of one of his associate groups"

And for his hierarchy:

2x lv 1 associates
10x lv 2 associates (assume 5 in each branch)
1x lv 3 associate

so total of 13 associates under Pat...

I don't understand how someone gets (900 - 700)...

Please help... Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Perfectus wrote:Can anyone explain what this problem is talking about?

I'm very confused...

I read the problem as:
pat's commission points = "total cumulative points of all his associates" - "max commutative points of one of his associate groups"

And for his hierarchy:

2x lv 1 associates
10x lv 2 associates (assume 5 in each branch)
1x lv 3 associate

so total of 13 associates under Pat...

I don't understand how someone gets (900 - 700)...

Please help... Thanks!
Hi Perfectus,

Pl. see this image. Hope it helps. There are collectively 5 associates in level 2.

-Shalabh