This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

IR

by abcd1111 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 pm

I have chosen yes yes NO .Pls explain if I am wrong

Followed by:1 members

by katy_123 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:29 am
I found it extremely difficult and took more than 10 mins only to understand the ques :( :( :(

Not sure if this is correct but still here is what I got-

Contiki:
plane tkt discount = 210-150=60 savings for the group = 30*4=120
discount = half of savings so 1st row room will be taken

worldsprings:
plane tkt discount = 525-450=75 savings for the group = 25*4=100
discount > half of savings so 1st row room will be taken

sunfun:

plane tkt discount = 240-210=30 savings for the group = 25*4=100
discount < half of savings
so 1st row room wont be taken up
revenue lost = 100 -30 -115/4(reimbursement)= 41

** I am not sure whether reimbursement needs to be multiplied by 4(for 4 days)
so ans is No No Yes

I definitely wont be able to do this on the day of the exam.

Please experts need your advice to tell us some strategy to tackle such problems

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:25 pm
I see that this kind, MULTIPLE SORCE REASONING, is time consuming more than each of other 3 sections of IR.

Can I ignore this question ?, and do other quetions because I never think I have enough time to do all 12 questions.

Dose the ignorance prevent me from getting "no problem " score?

In case of ignorance, How good should I perform on remaining questions?

What is "no problem" score for IR? what is the acceptalbe score for most of B schools in US? (writing section has a score of 4, which is acceptable score for most B schools. I want a similar score for IR section)

Pls, advise.

Followed by:1 members

by katy_123 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:43 pm
guys.... plz provide your solutions

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:07 am
I never get MSr question right. Can I skip this type of question and still get score of 4

where is this type of question? at the beginning, middle or last. pls tell me

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 am
Hey Guys,

MSR is indeed the toughest question type on IR. Whether or not you can skip it is difficult to say. Some general rules:

1) IR, as a whole, is not particularly important. This is because the main thing schools care about remains the 2-800 score. Also, because IR is so new, it'll be a few years before schools really understand what it means (in terms of student performance at business school).

2) You can get 2-3 questions wrong on IR and still get a perfect score (of 8). So as long as you're confident you can rock every other question on IR, you could conceivably skip an MSR passage and suffer, at most, a 1 point loss.

3) All that being said, I always get nervous whenever a student says "I wouldn't be able to do that on test day." Instead of being totally defeatist about it, think about what's really going on. Look for shortcuts. Are you sure you can't do it?

4) FInally, this isn't an official GMAT question. It's from GMAT Pill, which I know nothing about. And I agree that I haven't read a real question quite this complicated. I don't understand what's going on either. That doesn't mean it's impossible, by the way. But to be safe, practice with the IR section that comes with the OG 13, and see if it feels equivalent.

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:42 am
Hey Guys,

I wanted to add one other quick thing. My biggest problem with this question is it doesn't make clear whether the price listed is a nightly rate, or the rate for all four nights. It also doesn't make clear if the rates are per person. Finally, it's unclear whether the refund suggested here is per night, per group, or per person. So Katy's take on it is as good as anyone's. The only problem I see is that I'm not sure why the ticket would be relevant. The Spring Break Organizers don't lose any money on the ticket (they raise the price, then offer a discount), so I don't see how it would affect their bottom line...but I'm open to argument!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:19 pm
we have to admit that the og questions is beautiful and the creators of og question are excellent. it is regreful that og explanation is too slight and our study becomes harder and more time consuming. for some sc problems, I do searching on many forums on the internet but still do not get proper explanation.Each expers had his/her own explanation which is different from that of other expert. creating questions is hard. it is harder to create hard question because just a little change in easy question makes that question become hard one.

My thinking is that if some one wants to study hard questions, fisrt study the hard ones in gmatprep. I specially want to discuss og questions. the restudy of og questions makes me realize the excellence of their creators.