gmatprep IR question

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

gmatprep IR question

by suavesin » Fri May 25, 2012 8:44 pm
can anyone please tell me how to solve these kind of IR questions?

The graph shows the effect of voters previously stated preference regarding the issue of working time reduction on the probability of those voters actual choice being the same as the stated preference.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue May 29, 2012 1:44 pm
The first question asks which party's members are most likely to vote according to their stated preference (i.e. if they said they were for it, they vote for it, and if they said they were against it, they vote against it.) The y-axis shows the probability of a vote matching the stated preference. For people who are against the issue, Zeta is the party that is most likely to vote according to that position (at about 70%). However, we see a sharp decrease as we move towards people who are for the issue (where there is under a 50% chance for Zeta voters against the issue to vote against the issue). The Delta party is much more consistent, ranging from 60% (for voters who are against the issue) to just over 80% (for voters who are for the issue).

The second question is only concerned with the "against" column, and as we saw in the first question, Zeta voters are most likely to vote according to their "against" preference.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

by suavesin » Tue May 29, 2012 7:01 pm
Thanks a lot bill.Much appreciated!
So all we need is to use the probability on the y-axis.
what I thought was the political party which is stagnant over the period would be the right answer for it(in the graph the one with a straight line-that would be SIGMA here),but my bad, the answer was wrong.

Because for delta-the probability would be 0.6 to 0.8
While for sigma it is between 0.5 and 0.6 throughout (i.e for and against aswell)

Can you please explain where did I go wrong?

by friend9921 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 am
Confusing one! Have not understood the first question yet. Anyone who decipher it for me in a simple way

by tuhina » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:18 pm
I still have no idea how to solve this question.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:52 pm
Hi tuhina,

In IR questions that includes tables, charts or graphs, it's important to understand what the data "means." Based on the chart and the description next to it, here's what you should notice:

1) There are 5 political parties (including "no preference") and each has a line on the graph.
2) The lines represent the probability that a party members vote the SAME as their preference.
3) Preferences vary from "against" to "for" with 3 options "in the middle"
4) Individual data points will tell you the probability that one's "vote" matches one's "preference." For example, in the Delta party, if you look at the point that is farthest to the right, it tells you that about 80% of the Delta members whose preference is "for" the issue actually vote "for" the issue (and by deduction, about 20% vote in a way that differs from their preference).

The drop-down questions that follow ask you to look for "trending" data in the chart.

Q1 The party that is MOST apt to vote according to the preference (e.g. how they vote matches what they prefer). We'd be looking for an overall line that has a high percentage. Overall, the Delta line is above the other lines (except for one spot). THAT line is most apt to vote according to its preference.

Q2 The part that is MOST apt to vote AGAINST the policy IF the presence is to vote AGAINST. Here, we're looking for a specific point that has a high percent for the AGAINST option. The highest point is on the Zeta line

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]