Profile Evaluation Request & B-school Suggestions

Launched August 9, 2011
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello All,

Would be great to have this forum's suggestion/inputs on my choices for B-schools. My profile for evaluation, mentioned below.

Profile:
Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate: Anna University affiliated college : Engineering Degree( Electrical and Electronics) 2009 Batch. GPA 2.7/4
Work exp: 8 years (4.5 in India + 3.5 in Saudi Arabia)
Industry : Technology ( Industrial Automation )..all 8 years.
Function : Sales and Marketing ... all 8 years.
Planned intake: 2019 Jan onwards
GMAT : Planned date Feb 2018.

Career History ( Brief):

2009-2014
I Started my career as a Sales Engineer with a local small sized distributor of Rockwell Automation in India ( 25 employees with $0.2 million turnover), and worked there for 1.5 years, later I joined the competitor SIEMENS India Ltd, where I handled promotion and sales of similar technology and products ( $0.4 million Sales Target)

2014-Till present date
After working for Siemens India for 3 years , I moved to middle east market to work with a saudi small-scale enterprise ( 40 employee with $5 million turnover,), with similar job function but with additional responsibility of Business Development ( eg: As getting the company pre-qualification for contracts and tenders ( public & private sector) and with an Individual Sales target of $2 million

Future Career plan:
In the coming years, I wish to manage the Sales and Marketing operations of a product segment or of a technology division in a conglomerate like Siemens, ABB , Schneider ,GE or similar technology giants and at later stage , to establish, in India , a small scale start-up that provides Innovative Automation Solutions.

Desired course:
1 year MBA with core focus on Sales & Marketing or Business Development.

Target School:
Canada : Richard Ivey and Queen's School of Business
Australia : MBS, AGSM and may be MGSM ( 2 years)
Singapore : Insead and Nanyang Business School

*I believe INSEAD would be a far-fetched target .. would be glad to get corrected, if i was wrong.. :)

GOALS : Why MBA and what I look forward from an MBA program:
In order of importance : Placement, Career Progression,Networking, Skill Gap, Experience and Raised Income.

Why not : IIM's,ISB,XLRI or SP Jain or native reputed schools etc:

3 frank reasons.
1.Too much competition with young talented freshers out of UG with excellent GMAT and academic performance.
2.Less Diverse MBA class room experience with candidates without work experience & amazing stories.
3.Cost of a native MBA same almost same as an MBA with an International exposure.

Request your reply on the below:

1. Will an MBA from the above short-listed b-schools help me achieve my GOALS and Future Career Plan.
2. With my low GPA and Indian nationality, are the short-listed schools a realistic target. If yes what would be a minimum decent GMAT score.
3. Any alternate school that you might what to suggest??
4.Will my age put me at disadvantage during enrollment I will be 30 years old.
4.what is your opinion about MGSM -2 year course. I am confused; They dont require a GMAT score, then how do they maintain the quality of the candidates and class room ,and also their placement records are on par with AGSM.

Given the ROI factor, I would like to work at least 4-5 years in the country where I learn the business practices, before returning to India.

Looking forward to hear from you community.

p.s. : Last year, I had sent my resume for assessment to Ivey, Director, Recruiting and Admissions and she replied "I have reviewed your resume and am very impressed with your profile and the progression that you have demonstrated in your work experience to date and I feel you have the potential to be a great fit for our program."

Is the above a general statement or did they really mean that??any idea??.

Thanks in advance.
regards
Santosh

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:08 pm
Santosh1988 wrote:Hello All,

Would be great to have this forum's suggestion/inputs on my choices for B-schools. My profile for evaluation, mentioned below.

Profile:
Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate: Anna University affiliated college : Engineering Degree( Electrical and Electronics) 2009 Batch. GPA 2.7/4
Work exp: 8 years (4.5 in India + 3.5 in Saudi Arabia)
Industry : Technology ( Industrial Automation )..all 8 years.
Function : Sales and Marketing ... all 8 years.
Planned intake: 2019 Jan onwards
GMAT : Planned date Feb 2018.

Career History ( Brief):

2009-2014
I Started my career as a Sales Engineer with a local small sized distributor of Rockwell Automation in India ( 25 employees with $0.2 million turnover), and worked there for 1.5 years, later I joined the competitor SIEMENS India Ltd, where I handled promotion and sales of similar technology and products ( $0.4 million Sales Target)

2014-Till present date
After working for Siemens India for 3 years , I moved to middle east market to work with a saudi small-scale enterprise ( 40 employee with $5 million turnover,), with similar job function but with additional responsibility of Business Development ( eg: As getting the company pre-qualification for contracts and tenders ( public & private sector) and with an Individual Sales target of $2 million

Future Career plan:
In the coming years, I wish to manage the Sales and Marketing operations of a product segment or of a technology division in a conglomerate like Siemens, ABB , Schneider ,GE or similar technology giants and at later stage , to establish, in India , a small scale start-up that provides Innovative Automation Solutions.

Desired course:
1 year MBA with core focus on Sales & Marketing or Business Development.

Target School:
Canada : Richard Ivey and Queen's School of Business
Australia : MBS, AGSM and may be MGSM ( 2 years)
Singapore : Insead and Nanyang Business School

*I believe INSEAD would be a far-fetched target .. would be glad to get corrected, if i was wrong.. :)

GOALS : Why MBA and what I look forward from an MBA program:
In order of importance : Placement, Career Progression,Networking, Skill Gap, Experience and Raised Income.

Why not : IIM's,ISB,XLRI or SP Jain or native reputed schools etc:

3 frank reasons.
1.Too much competition with young talented freshers out of UG with excellent GMAT and academic performance.
2.Less Diverse MBA class room experience with candidates without work experience & amazing stories.
3.Cost of a native MBA same almost same as an MBA with an International exposure.

Request your reply on the below:

1. Will an MBA from the above short-listed b-schools help me achieve my GOALS and Future Career Plan.
2. With my low GPA and Indian nationality, are the short-listed schools a realistic target. If yes what would be a minimum decent GMAT score.
3. Any alternate school that you might what to suggest??
4.Will my age put me at disadvantage during enrollment I will be 30 years old.
4.what is your opinion about MGSM -2 year course. I am confused; They dont require a GMAT score, then how do they maintain the quality of the candidates and class room ,and also their placement records are on par with AGSM.

Given the ROI factor, I would like to work at least 4-5 years in the country where I learn the business practices, before returning to India.

Looking forward to hear from you community.

p.s. : Last year, I had sent my resume for assessment to Ivey, Director, Recruiting and Admissions and she replied "I have reviewed your resume and am very impressed with your profile and the progression that you have demonstrated in your work experience to date and I feel you have the potential to be a great fit for our program."

Is the above a general statement or did they really mean that??any idea??.

Thanks in advance.
regards
Santosh
Dear Santosh,
Good to hear from you.
So let's start with the principle. Given your goals and where you stand, yes an international MBA makes perfect sense, and is likely the sort of thing that will get you where you need to go. So it seems to me you are doing the right thing.

Second, regarding your evaluation, it's touch without a GMAT. But let's go with this rule of thumb: if you have 30 points more than the average, you're good. More is better of course.

Third, your profile. Let's start with the response you got. I'd take it with a grain of salt. Not because your profile is bad. But because that's a marketing response. Most schools won't write to you "Don't apply your profile is junk" :) For the logical reasons. From my perspective, your work experience seems to be very solid. And you seem perfectly poised to get an MBA. Your school + very low GPA will present some weaknesses though, especially at the better schools (i.e. INSEAD).

Next, r.e. your age - it's fine. Don't worry about it. Your age is entirely average for non-UC programs as an international applicant. So you're good there!

Other than that, for all things regarding evaluation, it's really the GMAT that will be definitive. Get a730+ and wow.... get a 620 and :(... So focus on that, and do your best to home with that score.

Best,
If you have any other questions, don't hesitate.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.