What percentage of the practice problems should I get right?

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I just finished Day 9 of the 60 day Study Guide. I am getting about 75% right on each of the practice problems at the end of each day, is that good or bad? When I go back to see what I did wrong, I understand what I did wrong, I would say so far in all the problems only one or two did I not understand. I plan on going back and reviewing them all at some point. Should I be getting more correct?

I originally got a 560 on my first MGMAT CAT, however before starting the 60 day guide I went over the Manhattan fundamentals of math book and got that up to a 640 on the next MGMAT CAT I took. I followed that up with a GMAC CAT a few days later per Day 3 of the 60 Day Study guide and got a 630. I would like to get my score up into the high 600s, a 700 would be amazing. Just seeing if I am on course...

GMAC CAT:
Verbal 38
Quantitative 39
Total 630

MGMAT CAT:
Score 640
Quantitative:42 - 45% percentile
Verbal: 36 - 81% percentile

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:01 am
Because the GMAT is adaptive, it's not a question of how many questions you get right; it's a question of which ones you get right. If you're getting all of the easy and medium questions right, you'll be getting higher-level questions and end up with a high-level score. If you're missing easier questions, though, you'll never get to the higher levels. You could get roughly the same number of questions right and wrong and still end up with a much lower score.

More on how this works here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... an-i-miss/

You say that you've only missed ~25% of questions, and you understood most of those when you reviewed them. But were these easy or hard questions? If a lot of your mistakes were careless errors on easy questions, then 25% wrong could actually really hurt your score! If you're getting all of the easier one right and just missing the 25% that are very hard conceptually, you're probably in good shape.

Here's more information on tracking your work so you can minimize careless mistakes and get all the easy ones right: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -studying/

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:50 pm
HI KDR83,

It has been some time since we've heard from you. Are you still studying for the GMAT?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by KDR83 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:24 pm
Unfortunately life got in the way and I took a longer break than I should have, I am once again starting to study but see I need to restart my study plan. I was hoping to take the test by the end of this month but now find myself needing to relearn things again so I am now planning on taking it beginning of November and even that is with my studying everyday for the next couple months. Hoping I stay on track this time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:12 pm
Hi KDR83,

Glad to see that you are getting back on the horse. If you need any help, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage