A rectangular piece of cloth 2 feet wide was cut lengthwise

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
A rectangular piece of cloth 2 feet wide was cut lengthwise into two smaller rectangular pieces. The shorter piece was one-third the length of the longer of the 2 new pieces and had an area of 12 square feet. What was the length in feet of the original piece of cloth before cutting?

A. 6
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 48

The OA is C.

I'm confused with this PS question. Please, can any expert assist me with it? Thanks in advanced.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:48 pm
LUANDATO wrote:A rectangular piece of cloth 2 feet wide was cut lengthwise into two smaller rectangular pieces. The shorter piece was one-third the length of the longer of the 2 new pieces and had an area of 12 square feet. What was the length in feet of the original piece of cloth before cutting?

A. 6
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 48
Area of a rectangle = LW.

A rectangular piece of cloth 2 feet wide was cut lengthwise into two smaller rectangular pieces.
The shorter piece had an area of 12 square feet.

Since the shorter piece has a width of 2 and an area of 12, we get:
L*2 = 12
L = 6.

The shorter piece was one-third the length of the longer.
Since the length of the longer piece is 3 times the length of the shorter piece -- and the shorter piece has a length of 6 -- the length of the longer piece = 3*6 = 18.

What was the length in feet of the original piece of cloth before cutting?
Total length = (length of the shorter piece) + (length of the longer piece) = 6+18 = 24.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members
BTGmoderatorLU wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:49 am
A rectangular piece of cloth 2 feet wide was cut lengthwise into two smaller rectangular pieces. The shorter piece was one-third the length of the longer of the 2 new pieces and had an area of 12 square feet. What was the length in feet of the original piece of cloth before cutting?

A. 6
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 48

The OA is C.

I'm confused with this PS question. Please, can any expert assist me with it? Thanks in advanced.
Since the shorter piece has an area of 12 square feet and a width of 2 feet, its length is 12/2 = 6 feet. Furthermore, since this is 1/3 of the length of the longer piece, the longer piece has a length of 6 x 3 = 18 feet. Therefore, the original piece of cloth has a total length of 6 + 18 = 24 feet.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage