Help with Speaking

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Help with Speaking

by ket » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:12 am
Hi all,

I have real problem with speaking on TOEFL iBT and I do not know what to do :(

I have 2 problems:

1. I cant think quickly enough for answers...
2. Therefore I am thinking and talking at the same time during the time of my answer... and consequently I am out of time!!!

Pls share some useful links about how to prepare for this part of the exam.

Thank you,

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

Help with Speaking

by DanaJ » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:50 am
The best way to prepare for this one is to practice with a timer. You should also ask someone who speaks decent English to help you by evaluating your responses. Unfortunately, I also had my lowest score in speaking. Here's my test day experience in case you need more info: https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-toefl-ib ... 51448.html

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ket » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:31 am
Thank you Dana. I have read your posts, they are great.
I sort of have improved my speaking with practice a little, not quite sure about it but.. um I have exam tomorrow:)

I will debrief after I receive my scores (hopefully good scores :))

Thanks again.

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

Help with Speaking

by papgust » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:41 am
Efficient note-taking is very important in speaking section and that too in a very very short span of time. I followed the tips given in this post and it really helped me a lot. Hope it will be useful to you too.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/3-day-toefl ... tml#315548
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by khilolik » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:44 pm
I am also preparing to Toefl ibt and found the following youtube link very helpful with speaking and writing part. I hope admin people would not mind if I post it here. It is not an ad, just a reference to study.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4lzrCpn ... re=related

by mekiran » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:38 am
oh,i have been going through a lot of problem questions on TOEFLE of late.Your question reminded m of my brother's friend who complained of the very same problem!He wasnot swift enough apparently with thinking ,why don't you go The Chopras(Kaplan) center ?may help you with preps!

ket wrote:Hi all,

I have real problem with speaking on TOEFL iBT and I do not know what to do :(

I have 2 problems:

1. I cant think quickly enough for answers...
2. Therefore I am thinking and talking at the same time during the time of my answer... and consequently I am out of time!!!

Pls share some useful links about how to prepare for this part of the exam.

Thank you,

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 pm
Hi ket,

The advice you've got is all good so far, but I can add one thing to this. When I'm teaching English, my general policy is "English, English, English," because you can't learn the language without using it. However, the speaking section of the IBT is one of a (very) few cases where I make an exception. The short-answer format of the speaking section of the iBT can be difficult even for native speakers, due to the rapid response and organizational skills necessary. I recommend doing a few short responses in your native language as a diagnostic test; your performance there will help you figure out whether your difficulty on the speaking section is truly language-based, or whether you need to adjust your entire strategy for this question type.

Let me know how it goes!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

by Sirarpi01 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:17 am
I also had a problem with speaking. Fortunately, I practice a lot and now I always get high scores when practicing. Now I found a free webinar, I'm going to take part in it tosee what's wrong with my speaking. In case you're interested, it's here https://www.karhanyan.com/webinars
P.S please not that I don't have any connection to this person or web-site!

by oscarjpink » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:44 am
The best way to improve the problem with speaking is to practise a lot.
Good scores!

by johnsonn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:17 pm
If you speaking continuously means then after 1 or 2 weak you don't get a fear after you watch the youtube and reference link its become the improvement on the English Communication
le@rn!ng

by Reaper19 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 pm
You must speak more with people, who know English better then you)Speak,speak,speak...

by Risfy1994 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 am
Dear, I wish you really a big luck with your practicing of speaking, because actually I have the same problem, unfortunately!

by Risfy1994 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:46 am
Hi dear! My advise is not original, but I am also sure that you just should practice your speaking. God luck to you!

Followed by:1 members

by EvanHndrsn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:29 am
Oh, speaking was the most difficult part for me as well. The thing is, there is no better way of proving speaking skills than practicing it every day. What I mean is really every day. If you don't want to speak it means you have to listen to a fluent speaker every day. Fortunately, we are living at the time of Internet and knowledge and sources without limits. And I was practicing on YouTube, watching a lot of videos about something interesting(the best motivation) or about topics with a new vocabulary (for me). Also watching films is useful. So, I think it could be helpful for everyone.

by reddingtonroy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:57 am
Hello Folks,

I hope you guys are doing well.

Could you please let me know if anyone who wants to improve his speaking skills?