A grammar question i need some answers

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

A grammar question i need some answers

by devy1994 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:20 pm
Hello everyone I just faced this question and cant decide whats the answer please help me.

There was an important reason to make such efforts: 5) .................. the moments a transit began and ended from different points on Earth, astronomers could use trigonometry to precisely calculate the distance from Earth to the sun.

5. a) having been recorded b) that recorded c) being recorded d) by recording e) recorded

I cant decide which one could be the answer I think ''a'' could be but ''d'' is more likely actually I dont know the usage of have+ing been v3.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:27 am
devy1994 wrote:Hello everyone I just faced this question and cant decide whats the answer please help me.

There was an important reason to make such efforts: 5) .................. the moments a transit began and ended from different points on Earth, astronomers could use trigonometry to precisely calculate the distance from Earth to the sun.

5. a) having been recorded b) that recorded c) being recorded d) by recording e) recorded

I cant decide which one could be the answer I think ''a'' could be but ''d'' is more likely actually I dont know the usage of have+ing been v3.
This is less a usage issue than a logic one. Consider A: Having been recorded the moments a transit began and ended from different points on Earth, astronomers

The sentence opens with a noun modifier, which appears to be modifying "astronomers." The literal meaning here is that the astronomers have been recorded - not the intended meaning. (Why would getting recorded help them do trig?) It makes more sense to write that the astronomers are doing the recording.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AlexBarret » Thu May 11, 2017 12:18 pm
devy1994 wrote:Hello everyone I just faced this question and cant decide whats the answer please help me.

I think, having been recorded.