Toefl vs. gmat English

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Toefl vs. gmat English

by aviadsimon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:31 am
Hi,

How hard is the Toefl English test compared to gmat English?
I get about 40 on the verbal part of the Gmat on various CATS (haven't took the real test yet...).
Will it be enough for me to score >110 on the Toefl without too much preparation? Or do you think I need to prepare for the Toefl?

Thx

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:21 am
At the outset, there is no comparison between TOEFL and GMAT English. In fact, the GMAT is not a test that tests your English. It tests your Verbal ability that is based on English. Reading Comprehension is the section that one can remotely compare with that of the TOEFL; however, in my opinion, there is no comparison between the two. The GMAT RC tests your reading comprehension and asks questions that require aptitude, while the TOEFL RC is not that comprehensive. Both the tests have an essay/writing sample. While GMAT AWA prompt asks you to write an argumentative essay, TOEFL writing response is more a summary that an essay in Writing section.

For further details, please check this page here on our website:

https://www.manhattanreview.com/toefl-format/

Jay

Locations: Manila | Melbourne | Hong Kong | Vienna | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced TOEFL Prep Advisor! Click here.

TOEFL

by AnfisaKater » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:30 am
aviadsimon wrote:Hi,

How hard is the Toefl English test compared to gmat English?
I get about 40 on the verbal part of the Gmat on various CATS (haven't took the real test yet...).
Will it be enough for me to score >110 on the Toefl without too much preparation? Or do you think I need to prepare for the Toefl?

Thx

Hello
I passed the TOEFL, and then after I have read the article https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat/about-the-gmat-exam/why-take-the-gmat-exam I wanted to pass the gmat.

by Jennifer259 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:59 am
Jay@ManhattanReview wrote:At the outset, there is no comparison between TOEFL and GMAT English. In fact, the GMAT is not a test that tests your English. It tests your Verbal ability that is based on English. Reading Comprehension is the section that one can remotely compare with that of the TOEFL; however, in my opinion, there is no comparison between the two. The GMAT RC tests your reading comprehension and asks questions that require aptitude, while the TOEFL RC is not that comprehensive. Both the tests have an essay/writing sample. While GMAT AWA prompt asks you to write an argumentative essay, TOEFL writing response is more a summary that an essay in Writing section.

For further details, please check this page here on our website:

https://www.manhattanreview.com/toefl-format/

Jay

Locations: Manila | Melbourne | Hong Kong | Vienna | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced TOEFL Prep Advisor! Click here.
That really helped me understand difference between TOFEL and GMAT english.