Evaluate my profile, please

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Evaluate my profile, please

by mossovet814 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:37 am
I have applied to 4 schools in the second round and have not heard anything from either of them, which is probably ok as it is only the biginning of March, but I am getting a bit nervous and would like to ask you to evaluate my profile for me to know, whether or not I should get nervous already.

GMAT 700 (about 80% for both sections)
GPA around 3.85 - 3.9
Experience 4 years of part-time job while studying, 3 years full-time job before college and 2 years full-time job after graduation
After graduation I held one of the leading managerial posts in a company dealing with sales
Double major (International Relations / Economics) + extra summer program from State University of New York
Actively participated in extracurricular activities during college
Speak 3 European languages fluently
25 years old, female
I am foreign, from Russia (my college degrees are from leading Russian University (State University of International Relations))

I applied during the second round to MIT, Kellogg, Stern and UCLA and still did not hear anything from either of the schools so far (except for demands for incomplete profile, some copies were lost and I sent them to the schools once again... but those are technical notes). Is there a reason for me to get nervous on the basis that there are no replies and is my profile strong enough for these schools?

Official Company Rep
Followed by:16 members
GMAT Score:770

by Scott@VeritasPrep » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:26 am
Definitely don't panic yet. It varies by school, and within each school's process the order in which applications are reviewed is often entirely random. So, don't view a lack of response as an early sign that things aren't going well... There are just too many other things going on. Hopefully you will hear something soon.

At first glance, nothing jumps out at me as an obvious weakness. Just a few things to think about:
  • How do you think your letters of recommendation were? When an applicant's candidacy is less successful than he expected, a lot of times the "smoking gun" is mediocre letters of recommendation. That doesn't mean that your recommenders didn't want to write you great recos; usually it means they meant well, but just didn't know how to write strong letters to support your candidacy.
  • You didn't mention any post-college extracurriculars. Perhaps this was a weakness?
  • In your essays, perhaps your reasons for wanting an MBA or your post-MBA career goals were murky or unrealistic?
I don't want to make you worry. Again, don't read into the lack of response too much yet! But, those are a few things to think about.

Good luck!
Scott