Profile Evaluation : South East Asian Female

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear Expert,

It would mean so much to me if you could help review and evaluate my profile.

My background
- Female, 27, Thai nationality
- Bachelor of Business Administration (International program) from local university, Finance and Banking major (GPA 3.76, 2nd Class)
- GMAT score (August 2015) : 690 (Q 46/ V 39/ IR 6/ AWA 5.5)
- IELTS : 7.5
- 4.5 years of work experience at Unilever

In 2011, I was first recruited as a temporary staff in Finance department, Indochina Business Unit under a 1-year contract, then got promoted to a permanent position 6 months later.
- fully handled management account and financial account operations for Unilever Myanmar representative office
- Coordinated with representative office, importers, distributors, and suppliers in Myanmar to ensure accuracy and timeliness of payment, invoicing, and price structure
- led several projects related to marketing aspects such as Turbo Payment, A&P Budget Control, etc.
- took temporary responsibility for financial operations of Unilever Cambodia office during a transition period and managed to create a better control of payment process to Cambodian suppliers
- was responsible for preparing and analyzing weekly turnover/sales report of all 4 Indochina countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, and Mongolia)

In late 2012, I was promoted to Purchasing department as a supervisor.
- Reported to Regional Supply Manager based in Singapore and assisted Procurement Assistant Manager based in Bangkok
- Delivered savings of 120,000 USD in Y2013
- Managed day-to-day operations and resolved issues when they arose
- Was responsible for the tracking and reporting of overall compliance status of all suppliers under Asia cluster (SEA, Australia, North Asia, and South Asia)

In late 2013, after 11 months of working as a Purchasing Supervisor, I was promoted to Purchasing Assistant Manager. I have been in this position for almost 2 years now. My responsibility covers Unilever Thailand and Myanmar.
- Report to Regional Supply Managers based in Singapore and Indonesia
- Manage 14 OEM suppliers under Foods and Refreshments categories (Business size : 25 million USD per year) and 5 Copackers for all product categories (Business size : 2 million USD per year)
- Lead cost saving and complexity reduction projects by working with marketing, R&D, raw and packaging material suppliers, OEM suppliers, and Copackers. (Delivered savings of 850K USD in Y2014 and have identified savings of 1.03 million USD in Y2015)
- Have established an exclusive Copacker, created process alignment, and developed copacker strategy for Myanmar business
- Have initiated Copacker transformation project for Thailand and is now working with stakeholders to execute. The purpose is to simplify ways of working and gain volume leverage
- Lead the implementation of Unilever Responsible Sourcing program for suppliers in Asia.

I participated in several extracurricular activities during my college years and I continued to volunteer to lead several Unilever CSR projects and arrange employees' trips. I also plan to do more volunteering services before applying this year.

I have met with an admissions consultant in my country. I told him that I was interested in Booth, U of Wisconsin - Madison, Notre Dame - Mendoza, Carnegie Mellon - Tepper, and U of Washington - Foster. However, he suggested that with my profile and test scores, and with his services, I should aim for Top schools such as Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, and Duke. The thing is his service fees are so expensive I can never afford...

I know that my GMAT score is still below average for those big names, but since the consultant told me I had potential to get into top schools, I just want to get second opinions here.

If I do not use any admissions consultant services, do I have a chance to get into top schools that the consultant suggested, given my overall profile and test scores? Is my profile considered attractive?

Please help evaluate my profile and give further suggestions.

Many thanks in advance,
Jan

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:27 am
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have an interesting background that should pique the interest of many programs. You have a strong academic record with a GMAT score that will fall in your target schools 80% range. Your work experience is another area of strength that schools will love to see. Also, as a female applicant you should be in a position to be competitive at some higher ranked programs like Kellogg, Ross and Duke if you can piece together your story properly.

Of course a qualified admissions consultant from a company like Veritas Prep would help but you certainly could potentially be able to get in on your own if you're able to execute your application at a high level.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!