Idea of doing MBA after Masters in Science (electrical Eng)

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I did Masters in Electrical Engineering from University of Minnesota, twin cities (have a GPA of 3.8) and did my undergrad from India (Non NIT/IIT). I am planning to prepare for GMAT and get in to top#20 business school in USA. I am just wondering whether the Masters degree would hurt the chances of admission. I plan to enroll in MBA after 4 years from now. Currently, I am working in USA as an electrical engineer at IBM. (have an year of experience till date). I enquired at Yale SOM and they mentioned that I will not be eligible for their MBA program. Please clarify.

Also, please suggest me if it is a good idea to pursue MBA after 4 years financially and career wise. Please mention if you know of any good schools that accept applicants like me.

Thank you.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sun May 18, 2014 6:48 am
A Masters degree would not disqualify you from MBA programs as long as it's not another MBA. Not sure why Yale would tell you that you're not eligible other than maybe right now without the requisite work experience. Once you have the WE and the GMAT squared away, your education and experience should make you a viable candidate at top 20 schools.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options