USE OF WHOSE ON GMAT

Ask your questions about Veritas Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

USE OF WHOSE ON GMAT

by Reetgmat1986 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:01 am
Chicago, where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city, was plagued by labor troubles like the Pullman Strikes of 1894.
(A) where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city-- Incorrect
(B) which had industrial growth in the nineteenth century more rapid than that of other American cities
(C) which had growth industrially more rapid than any other American city in the nineteenth century-- Incorrect
(D) whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city-- Incorrect
(E) whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than that of any other American city

The correct answer here is E.. I had marked B.

I have two doubts here

1) I eliminated D nd E basis the use f whose, I thought on GMAT whose is used only for people or living beings.

2) "use of more rapid than that of other american cities".. is this incorrect????

Would request if instructors from VERITAS could help me with these. thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:33 pm
'Whose' can be used to refer to inanimate objects as well: here's a nice article explaining why, and discussing some of the "controversy" (bah!) surrounding it.