Talk about MBA student life with actual MBA students

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
Hi Beat The GMAT Community,

I'm excited to announce the creation of this new discussion forum, 'MBA Student Life'. In this forum, you will have the opportunity to speak directly to current MBA students or MBA alumni about life inside business schools.

We have recruited several current students from various top MBA programs to answer your questions. We're going to continually recruit to make sure this section of the site is well represented by many schools in the future. If you are a current MBA student interested in serving as a representative here, please private message me.

Please note that this isn't an area for discussing your application or seeking app advice. Rather, it's a discussion area for learning more about school life.

Many thanks to those of you who provided feedback on this new forum. Big thanks to the staff and especially dmateer25 for assisting in building and moderating this new area!
Last edited by beatthegmat on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Just wanted to give folks a heads up that I will be creating several school specific threads in the next 24 hours.

Stay tuned, we have plenty of great reps coming aboard to answer your questions. :)

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:57 pm
beatthegmat wrote:Just wanted to give folks a heads up that I will be creating several school specific threads in the next 24 hours.

Stay tuned, we have plenty of great reps coming aboard to answer your questions. :)
I am looking forward to the interaction in this forum! I will make sure the students have plenty of questions! :D

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:26 am
This is what i had been waiting for. I'm sure this section is going to be filled with activity.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:42 am
I sure hope so too, hk!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members

by money9111 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:43 am
Is there any way we can get a Tuck and/or Yale student to post in this forum? I think it's a top business school ;-)
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Community Manager
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:44 am
money9111 wrote:Is there any way we can get a Tuck and/or Yale student to post in this forum? I think it's a top business school ;-)
Hi Money9111, we will surely try to get someone students from Tuck/Yale. Do you know any current students?

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members

by money9111 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:29 pm
unfortunately I do not... but I'm going up to Yale on presidents day... so maybe I'll mention it to someone up there (after feeling out the students) haha
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
It would be great to have some perspectives from international students (currently in the US) who might have more insight into this development --> Optional Practical Training OPT to be suspended / cancelled?
Watch these MBA videos

Sameer Kamat, Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Careerizma
Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Must read for MBA aspirants
1. Beyond The MBA Hype | 2. Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:22 am
This seems to be a great idea and a lot of potential applicants can get insight into the other important aspect of choosing a school. The fit!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by MRepsold » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:18 am
Join us for the Wharton Latin America Weekend! Buy your tickets here ->
https://groups.wharton.upenn.edu/LatinAm ... &id=100865

The Conference keynote speakers will be Felipe Dutra, Chief Financial and Technology Officer of AB-InBev, and Jorge "Tuto" Quiroga, ex-president of Bolivia. And the panels will include leaders from both the private and public sector, including heads of Amazon, Uber, Gramercy, the International Finance Corporation and more! You can also participate in the Career Fair, Private Equity Competition, StartUp Competition, and Social & Networking activities!

For more info visit whartonlatamweekend.com

by alena019 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:26 am
Hi,
Please help me out.I graduated in Medicine and have worked for 4 years. Since, I wasn't getting MD degree and no residecy, I got frustrated and searched for other ways to move on. I got admission to an MBA program in US. But, now I am scared that it will be far different than my line of study. So, please help me out how different will it be, like in terms of maths and subjects and technicality. Because when I had done GRE I had trouble in maths (but thank God did it good) so now I am scared thinking did I go for somewhere I don't belong? What next after MBA ? Please counsel me abt the difficulties I wouls have to face and the utmost possibilities of success.
Your suggestion will change my life.
Thanking you
Alena

by alena019 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:28 am
dmateer25 wrote: Hi,
Please help me out.I graduated in Medicine and have worked for 4 years. Since, I wasn't getting MD degree and no residecy, I got frustrated and searched for other ways to move on. I got admission to an MBA program in US. But, now I am scared that it will be far different than my line of study. So, please help me out how different will it be, like in terms of maths and subjects and technicality. Because when I had done GRE I had trouble in maths (but thank God did it good) so now I am scared thinking did I go for somewhere I don't belong? What next after MBA ? Please counsel me abt the difficulties I wouls have to face and the utmost possibilities of success.
Your suggestion will change my life.
Thanking you
Alena

by maddy2511 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:07 am
Hi,

I am applying to IMD and I am much worried about the living expenses for one year in Lausanne. The IMD website says that an approximate of CHF 3000 per month will be required as for living expenses (and I believe the mentioned amount must be on the conservative side). This would be an amount too huge for me to manage considering that my annual income here in India is about 18000 CHF (which is somewhat on the better side compared to Indian standards).

I have seen many Indian Students attending the program. Could someone throw some light on how to manage these expenses as the same are not covered by loans.

Thanks,

by maddy2511 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:13 am
Hi,

I am applying to IMD and I am much worried about the living expenses for one year in Lausanne. The IMD website says that an approximate of CHF 3000 per month will be required as for living expenses (and I believe the mentioned amount must be on the conservative side). This would be an amount too huge for me to manage considering that my annual income here in India is about 18000 CHF (which is somewhat on the better side compared to Indian standards).

I have seen many Indian Students attending the program. Could someone throw some light on how to manage these expenses as the same are not covered by loans.

Also please review my profile for the program

. GMAT - 670 IR4 AWA4

Work Ex - 8 years

Hero Motocorp Ltd. (India's largest two wheeler manufacturer) Feb, 2015 to Present.

a. Service Planning, Corporate Office, Oct, 2016 to Present.
b. Territory Manager- Service, Sales Marketing-Customer Care department, Feb, 2015 to Oct, 2016.

Tata Motors Ltd. (India's Largest automotive manufacturer) Sept, 2009 to Feb, 2015.

a. Customer Support Manager, Marketing-PVBU. Sept, 2013 to Feb, 2015
b. Manager, Vendor Development, Sourcing & Supply chain Department. Apr, 2012 to Sept, 2013.
c. Assistant Manager, Vendor Development, Sourcing & Supply chain Department. Sept, 2009 to Sept, 2013.

Bachelor of Technology - CGPA 6.94/10
High School (12th) - 72.4%
10th - 83.8%

Not very active in co-curricular / extra-curricular activities however have shown leadership qualities in my work.

Thanks,