Wife and Kid on the way, hard time deciding on a FT program

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I am planning on applying to a few Full-time top 10 MBA programs, but am concerned to forgo two years of salaried income, while expecting a child on the way. My Wife, has a business which she manages from the comfort of her laptop but her income alone would be difficult to support us. A Fulltime program makes the most sense for my career aspirations but I would not like to place my family in a difficult situation for a few years.

Curious to hear others thoughts in a similar situation, how were you able to manage with a Wife and child during school, and what were some strategies for financial aid?

Thanks,

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:27 pm
Thanks for sharing.

You may have considered these options, but just in case, some MBA students would agree to return to their current employer in exchange for financial aid. This would lessen the stress, both in terms of cash flows and job search. It does reduce your flexibility, but provides more stability in the short term.

Selling off personal assets, such as cars or liquidating financial investments could also be some ways to ease the financial flows.

Wish you all the best, and look forward to your updates.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:51 pm
Sounds like you need to reach out to people at the schools you're looking to apply too and just speak to them about their experiences. I had a bunch of classmates who had wives/kids up in Ithaca with them (I went to Johnson at Cornell University) and their families were always welcome. My experience would not have been complete if my classmate's lives were not complete. If that makes sense...

needless to say there are "partner" groups/clubs at each school, which you can find listed on each school's websites, and you should definitely reach out to them.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

-

by Daelege » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:28 am
I can think of one time your wife was wrong, but its too late for apologies.

My wife likes to be the center of attention, but she usually says sorry later, while shes cleaning the pole.