Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:760

Profile Evaluation

by jbrown1011 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:49 am
Hello - My biggest question is what is reasonable or attainable with my profile? Are Harvard and Stanford still pipe dreams? I never considered them until I got my GMAT score and I've had people I respect and trust tell me I should add them to the list. Am I underselling myself?

Target Schools:
- Kellogg, Booth, Ross, Tuck, Fuqua, Darden (Kellogg is my top choice here)

Super Reach:
-Harvard, Stanford - would only apply if I got an opinion that I had a real shot.

GMAT: 760 (50Q, 44V) 8 IR --- haven't gotten AWA back yet
GPA: 3.66, Economics and Business
School: Small, midwestern liberal arts school, not highly ranked

CFA charterholder

Goal:
- Transition into management consulting, targeting M/B/B

Work Experience: All at a top 5 US bank (Operations, then Wealth Management)
- 2 years securities operations
- 1 Year - junior portfolio manager in private wealth mananagment
- 1 Year - on an interim basis, took on the daily management of two client books, which amounted to $800mm and 260 accounts. For this, I was given a service award that only 7 people receive each year and the only person from my position that has received it.
- 1 Year (current) - Portfolio manager with my own book of clients, consisting of 135 clients and $260mm

Extracurriculars:
- Very involved with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, including on the executive committee for the young professional fundraising program, which I had participated in before helping to organize.
- Toastmasters: Officer positions at the club level, including the current club president. I've also competed in three different speech competitions at a high level (General Speech, Humorous, Impromptu).
- One semester tutoring for 7-13 year olds

In College:
- 4 years varsity baseball - senior captain
- Student radio station - General manager
- VP of economic honor society and student tutor for 100 level econ
- Mortar Board

GMAT/MBA Expert

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mbaMissionKrista » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:24 am
Hey @jbrown1011

Thanks for getting in touch! You have some really nice stats...GPA and GMAT are great. Without seeing your resume, it's hard to go into a ton of detail but your main challenge might be that b-schools tend to prioritize Investment Banking over Wealth Management. That being said, I think you've done the right thing in putting together a broad portfolio of schools, and yes, I do think you should throw in an HBS and GSB app. Remember HBS values leadership experience so please make sure your resume really reflects all your great extracurriculars. (Hopefully Division I baseball?) GSB is going to be tough...6% admit rate on a good day and for your demographic, maybe a bit less...but it's worth a shot.

You are the type of candidate that is ripe for a free consult -- I think you'll get a lot out of it. I highly recommend you get in touch with us to talk more about your candidacy. Link in my signature. (You don't have to talk to me specifically -- just take the slot that best matches your schedule.)

Krista

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by jbrown1011 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:50 am
Thank you, Krista. I do know I'm fighting uphill coming from Wealth Management. I'll be sure to book a consult.