Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by goldfarr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 pm
Hi!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post. While I am still a year or two away from application, I would like to see how my profile is shaping up for when I pull the trigger. FYI, my dream schools are UCLA, HBS, NYU, COLUMBIA, STANFORD, and USC. I'm hoping to get an expert opinion.

I went to a top 30 liberal arts school. I graduated Phi Beta Kappa, Summa Cum Laude, 3.9 GPA with a double major in Econ and Film and finished my degrees in 3 and 1/2 years. I was an RA, played club sports, did theater and wrote screenplays. During undergrad, I worked in entertainment at three Academy Award winning production companies and for WME as an intern. When I graduated early, I got a job at Ernst and Young as a consultant in financial advisory which I did for 8 months before shifting back to the entertainment industry where I currently work (at a top 4 talent agency in the Film Finance and Sales group) i was promoted out of the finance group to work for the head of our motion picture group. I will either stay here until I apply to B-school in the fall of 2017 or 2018 or I will shift to a Studio, preferably in the strategy or marketing space.

My main question is should i apply in 2017 and have 2.5 years or WE at matriculation of apply in 2018 and have 3.5 years WE?

on the GMAT side: Tough road of studying but pulled out a 710! 47 Math, 40 Verbal. 6 AWA and 6 IR.

Throughout the next two years, I plan on doing volunteer work with my company and on my own. I also am an active stock trader on the side as a hobby. I am a white man FYI.

With all that info, do I have a shot at any of my dream schools listed above?

Thank you for your time and response!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by mbaMissionNishaT » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:14 pm
Hi, and thanks for writing. Congrats on the GMAT score! You have solid (and unique) work experience and good academics. The volunteering will definitely help strengthen your profile. For the programs you've listed, I think that having 3.5 years of work experience (if it involves progression of responsibility/additional promotion/new projects) will likely put you in a stronger spot. Plus, it'll give you time to make a meaningful impact in the volunteer engagement(s) that you choose.

Hope that helps! Let me know of any other questions :)
goldfarr wrote:Hi!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post. While I am still a year or two away from application, I would like to see how my profile is shaping up for when I pull the trigger. FYI, my dream schools are UCLA, HBS, NYU, COLUMBIA, STANFORD, and USC. I'm hoping to get an expert opinion.

I went to a top 30 liberal arts school. I graduated Phi Beta Kappa, Summa Cum Laude, 3.9 GPA with a double major in Econ and Film and finished my degrees in 3 and 1/2 years. I was an RA, played club sports, did theater and wrote screenplays. During undergrad, I worked in entertainment at three Academy Award winning production companies and for WME as an intern. When I graduated early, I got a job at Ernst and Young as a consultant in financial advisory which I did for 8 months before shifting back to the entertainment industry where I currently work (at a top 4 talent agency in the Film Finance and Sales group) i was promoted out of the finance group to work for the head of our motion picture group. I will either stay here until I apply to B-school in the fall of 2017 or 2018 or I will shift to a Studio, preferably in the strategy or marketing space.

My main question is should i apply in 2017 and have 2.5 years or WE at matriculation of apply in 2018 and have 3.5 years WE?

on the GMAT side: Tough road of studying but pulled out a 710! 47 Math, 40 Verbal. 6 AWA and 6 IR.

Throughout the next two years, I plan on doing volunteer work with my company and on my own. I also am an active stock trader on the side as a hobby. I am a white man FYI.

With all that info, do I have a shot at any of my dream schools listed above?

Thank you for your time and response!