Appreciate an Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Appreciate an Evaluation

by Heseraj » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:59 pm
Hello, Mosa Rahimi, Originally from Afghanistan.

1. Work experience: I've started as a sergeant in January 2004, rose the rank very quickly and became the Aide the Camp to the Afghan Border Police Director General. In 2008, I left my job to fully pursue higher education and was a lieutenant by then. Joining counter narcotics programs sponsored by the U.S. Government, I worked in different capacities: language assistant, program assistant, senior program assistant and finally adviser to the deputy minister of counter narcotics. My last two promotions, senior program assistant and adviser came after my graduation from college in May 2013. During not only my college but also secondary and high school, I had had a full time job while with hardworking continued my education. However, I've been living in the U.S.A since October 2014 and have had difficulties entering to a relevant career path. Jobs worked in the State, Bank teller, Cashier and currently I work as an over the pone interpreter for Cyracom Internationals.

2. GMAT score 620, 66th percentile, Quant 44, 54th percentile, Verbal, 32, 67th percentile. My score, even though not as high and competitive as needed for top business schools, is the highest, with a gap of 70 points from the second highest, GMAT score that I know any afghan applicants who studied and grew in Afghanistan has gotten.

3. The American University of Afghanistan. GPA 3.31. BBA with concentration in Finance, May 2013

4. Leadership roles: Member of the student government association with highest entry vote, initiator and organizer of a number of gatherings, meetings and fund raisers for students who had difficulties funding their education. In the context my community, my contribution can be defined as the first call for both materialistic and advisory helps. i.e. a place to stay, fund to borrow, take people with health issues who come from my countryside to hospitals or advice in terms of what course of action shall I or my school in children take. (note: I am a strong advocate of female education and was one of the most trusted males who was reached by different females for advice, financial support, either loaning my own money to, or finding another trusted male to borrow for them, and even needs such as transportation from university to home). In the summer of 2014, I turned down the suggestion made by some of my community elders to take part in provincial and district (county) people assembly election on the ground of not being ready for that role.

5. My short terms goals are entering into finance and consulting for a couple of years and get experience in this market. M long term goals are open my own consulting and finance company in Afghanistan with a focus on education support, financial advisory and business operation sustainability.

6. Any top schools specially Harvard, Columbia and Cornell (maybe Fuqua) in particular for my wish list and Daniel Business School, University of Buffalo and Baruch College.

I really appreciate if you provide me your assessment on my profile.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionKate » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:20 pm
Hi Mosa,

Thanks for reaching out. Your profile is very interesting, and we don't come across a lot of applicants from Afghanistan. Your military / government experience is definitely a strength, and it sounds like you had some great progression in your responsibilities, leadership, and exposure.

Yes your GMAT is high for applicants from your demographic, but it is still quite low for very top schools like Harvard and Columbia. Unless you are able to retake (?), I'd focus more on schools ranging from Fuqua to Baruch.

Good luck!
Kate
Heseraj wrote:Hello, Mosa Rahimi, Originally from Afghanistan.

1. Work experience: I've started as a sergeant in January 2004, rose the rank very quickly and became the Aide the Camp to the Afghan Border Police Director General. In 2008, I left my job to fully pursue higher education and was a lieutenant by then. Joining counter narcotics programs sponsored by the U.S. Government, I worked in different capacities: language assistant, program assistant, senior program assistant and finally adviser to the deputy minister of counter narcotics. My last two promotions, senior program assistant and adviser came after my graduation from college in May 2013. During not only my college but also secondary and high school, I had had a full time job while with hardworking continued my education. However, I've been living in the U.S.A since October 2014 and have had difficulties entering to a relevant career path. Jobs worked in the State, Bank teller, Cashier and currently I work as an over the pone interpreter for Cyracom Internationals.

2. GMAT score 620, 66th percentile, Quant 44, 54th percentile, Verbal, 32, 67th percentile. My score, even though not as high and competitive as needed for top business schools, is the highest, with a gap of 70 points from the second highest, GMAT score that I know any afghan applicants who studied and grew in Afghanistan has gotten.

3. The American University of Afghanistan. GPA 3.31. BBA with concentration in Finance, May 2013

4. Leadership roles: Member of the student government association with highest entry vote, initiator and organizer of a number of gatherings, meetings and fund raisers for students who had difficulties funding their education. In the context my community, my contribution can be defined as the first call for both materialistic and advisory helps. i.e. a place to stay, fund to borrow, take people with health issues who come from my countryside to hospitals or advice in terms of what course of action shall I or my school in children take. (note: I am a strong advocate of female education and was one of the most trusted males who was reached by different females for advice, financial support, either loaning my own money to, or finding another trusted male to borrow for them, and even needs such as transportation from university to home). In the summer of 2014, I turned down the suggestion made by some of my community elders to take part in provincial and district (county) people assembly election on the ground of not being ready for that role.

5. My short terms goals are entering into finance and consulting for a couple of years and get experience in this market. M long term goals are open my own consulting and finance company in Afghanistan with a focus on education support, financial advisory and business operation sustainability.

6. Any top schools specially Harvard, Columbia and Cornell (maybe Fuqua) in particular for my wish list and Daniel Business School, University of Buffalo and Baruch College.

I really appreciate if you provide me your assessment on my profile.