by vandanaj » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 pm
Hi!

I am Vandana,24 years old, from India.
GMAT : 710
GPA : 3.7
Education:
10th : 90.6%
13% : 83%
Undergrad : Bachelors in Technology, Computer Science Engineering.
Working since past 2 years at Bank of America Continuum Pvt. Ltd., as a Senior Technical Associate.
I have several certifications in finance related topics and have an award too for an outstanding performance.

I am halfway through Competent Communicator manual of Toastmasters International and have won few speech contests. I would be done with this manual by September end.

Volunteer Experience:
I am an active member of the volunteering arm of Bank of America, called Team Aspire in which we adopt schools for underprivileged adults and teach them ourselves. I also taught in a community school in Assam during last summer, for 15 days. Back in college, I co-founded Teach for Vellore, which works on similar grounds as Teach for America or Teach for India.

I want to pursue MBA (yet to decide between Finance and General Management) in 2017 and wish to know my chances. Wharton, Harvard and Stern Business School are my dream colleges. Apart from these, I have the below listed colleges in mind:
NUS Singapore
HEC Paris
Cornell
INSEAD
Columbia, NY
Booth
Haas
Rotterdam
Ross

Can you please help me here and help me list which all colleges I do have chance. Also, how I can make my application stand out.
Also, could you help me with my application process.
Could you also share some email id or some contact to get in touch with you.

Regards
Vandana

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionKate » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:31 am
Hi Vandana,
Thanks for sharing your profile. I see a lot of great things -- your role at a multinational bank is great and I like that you are doing Toastmasters to build up your communication skills (since your role is more technical). Your volunteer experience is great too, definitely plan to highlight that in your applications!

Your GPA numbers wise is great, very strong, though it depends slightly on what school. Your GMAT seems strong but not stellar, especially compared to other applicants from India. Is retaking possible before you apply?

I also encourage you to think about the timing of when you apply -- two years work experience is not much and below average so I'm concerned about that and that schools won't think you have enough leadership experience under your belt. But maybe you've thought about this already and have good reasons for why now, but it'll still be a challenge convincing some schools that you're ready now.

Given this, I think your list is a bit ambitious. Schools like Harvard, Wharton, Booth, Haas, Columbia are going to be very tough for you. The others on your list seem more reasonable.

If you want to chat further, feel free to sign up for a free 30 minute phone consult here: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/

Or, you can send me a PM or email me directly at kate <at> mbamission.com

Good luck!
Kate
vandanaj wrote:Hi!

I am Vandana,24 years old, from India.
GMAT : 710
GPA : 3.7
Education:
10th : 90.6%
13% : 83%
Undergrad : Bachelors in Technology, Computer Science Engineering.
Working since past 2 years at Bank of America Continuum Pvt. Ltd., as a Senior Technical Associate.
I have several certifications in finance related topics and have an award too for an outstanding performance.

I am halfway through Competent Communicator manual of Toastmasters International and have won few speech contests. I would be done with this manual by September end.

Volunteer Experience:
I am an active member of the volunteering arm of Bank of America, called Team Aspire in which we adopt schools for underprivileged adults and teach them ourselves. I also taught in a community school in Assam during last summer, for 15 days. Back in college, I co-founded Teach for Vellore, which works on similar grounds as Teach for America or Teach for India.

I want to pursue MBA (yet to decide between Finance and General Management) in 2017 and wish to know my chances. Wharton, Harvard and Stern Business School are my dream colleges. Apart from these, I have the below listed colleges in mind:
NUS Singapore
HEC Paris
Cornell
INSEAD
Columbia, NY
Booth
Haas
Rotterdam
Ross

Can you please help me here and help me list which all colleges I do have chance. Also, how I can make my application stand out.
Also, could you help me with my application process.
Could you also share some email id or some contact to get in touch with you.

Regards
Vandana

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sommya » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:09 am
1. Undergraduate school:
Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.), Computer Science, (4 years degree), UTU India

2. Undergraduate grades/GPA
7.9/10
Xth : 88% CBSE
XII : 77% CBSE

3. GMAT score or expected score
Expected 680-700

4. # Yrs full-time work experience
3.9 years

5. Current company and role
Business Analyst in Deloitte US Consulting (Sales Performance Management domain); techno-functional role that requires a good amount of client interaction). Prior to this I have 1.5 years of experience in Technology (Accenture) in Informatica (ETL).

6. Extra-curricular leadership experience
Developed a desktop API for twitter during my internship (2011)
Won treasure hunts at state level.
Won a carom championship : Intra-Deloitte Delhi
Few other achievements but nothing at state and national level. Hosted and won couple of activities at college and school level.
Working with an NGO for the past 6 months. Organized events and won quizzes during my tenure with Deloitte as well.
Created a facebook page "FACTEZE" to analyze the mindset of the active members on fb.

7. Post-MBA goals
Getting into branding/adverstising/marketing, gaining more international experience so as to understand the customer needs better.

8. Target schools
ISB
Sloan
Cornell
Wharton
Schulich
Rotman
School of Business
Stern
INSEAD

9. IELTS Score: 7.5

Please advise the schools to aim for adnw hat are my chances for the mentioned schools with the profile that I have.

Best regards,
Sommya Mehta
[email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:20 pm
Hey Sommya-- just replied on the Manhattan Prep thread, to this same post, thanks!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders