Profile Eval Request - 740 GMAT

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval Request - 740 GMAT

by savior2207 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:52 pm
I am a 24 year old engineering student male from India. I would appreciate it if you could go through my profile and help answer the questions at the bottom.
1> Education:
"¨Top 10 Engineering College, Computer Science Major, Percentage(64% ~ 3.5 GPA), First Class, 2010-2014

2> Work Ex(3 years at matriculation): "¨
I was selected for a selective rotational program in financial analytics in a top British Bank. I was promoted within a year, and was selected to present my project to the CRO.
I decided to leave the job to work on a technology based logistics startup, from its inception, as a core team member. The startup has grown to a valuation of 1 million USD in a year and is backed by a renowned accelerator. My work was operations development, business development/strategy and fundraising assistance.

3> Extra Curriculums:"¨
I have worked in a non-profit organisation for more than 6 years, focussing on social welfare issues such as education, women empowerment and sanitation.
I have had 2 small stints at non-profits for homeless children.
I have also worked in CSR activities to help increase employability of young adults.
I was involved in organising of a model G20 Summit in College.

4>Test Scores:
"¨GMAT : 740(Q50 V38 AWA5 IR8) TOEFL: 113

5>Goals:"¨
Immediate - Top 3 Management Consulting
"¨Long Term - Entrepreneurship/VC in a technology sector that can also take initiatives for social change

6>Other Info:"¨Inflicted by many injuries and ailments in undergrad which affected GPA at the time. Improved academic performance post improvement. Underwent surgery to continue playing tennis and run half-marathons. "¨Selected in a deferred admission program for a top 3 B-School in India, starting from 2017.

Q : Due to my deferred admission, I am in a situation where I need to apply for top US Business Schools at a slightly younger age. What are my chances at top B-Schools such as Harvard,Stanford,Wharton,Sloan and Kellogg?
Q : Should I mention my ailments in the optional essay for my not-so-stellar GPA? (My grades improved post surgery + I ran a half-marathon to retain lost fitness)
Q: Should I mention my deferred admission in my applications. Is it more likely to support or hurt my application?
Thanks a lot in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:42 pm
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your story. You've got some interesting professional experience, as well as involvement outside of work, and a solid GMAT if slightly lower grades than some. To your questions:

Q : Due to my deferred admission, I am in a situation where I need to apply for top US Business Schools at a slightly younger age. What are my chances at top B-Schools such as Harvard,Stanford,Wharton,Sloan and Kellogg?

Well of course just about anyone has super slim chances at Stanford first of all, then Harvard, then Sloan/Wharton/Kellogg following those 2. But I think it's worth a shot at a few of those top programs, and see what happens! Showcase the startup you've been involved in and experiences you've had and aim to focus on what you'll bring to the class that maybe others would not.

Q : Should I mention my ailments in the optional essay for my not-so-stellar GPA? (My grades improved post surgery + I ran a half-marathon to retain lost fitness)

Yes, that is a reasonable explanation for the grade challenges.

Q: Should I mention my deferred admission in my applications. Is it more likely to support or hurt my application?

I would not likely mention it; doesn't add much and if anything there could be some concern/worry about your considering that option, or that you are too uncertain about your decisions.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders