Please evaluate my profile..

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please evaluate my profile..

by mqt001 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:46 pm
Hello,

I took the GMAT today and made a score of 650 (40V, 39Q). I will likely retake the test in the coming months, however, I am curious where I stand with this score in regards to the schools that I am considering. These schools are:

University of South Carolina - Moore IMBA
University of Georgia - Terry
University of Miami
SMU - Cox
Syracuse University
University of Texas at Austin - McCombs (Reach)
University of Florida - Warrington (Reach)

I have a degree in supply chain management from a major university with a respectable business school. My overall GPA was a 3.2/4 and my GPA for the business school was 3.5/4. I currently work for one of the top logistics providers in the US in a management position. I plan to enroll in a program in Fall 2017, by which time I will have 2 years work experience. I know that My quant score is sub par, however, I took multiple high level finance, econ, and data analysis courses in undergrad and never made lower than a B in any of them. I'm hoping this will show the admissions officers that I can handle the work load of the quant-heavy courses. As I mentioned before, I will most likely retake the exam, I just want to see how my chances are looking at the moment.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:17 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Your GMAT looks solid for many of the schools, but agree with your reach options especially McCombs. You can look up average GMAT scores, and of course being ABOVE a school's average will be an extra plus, whereas much below it would be a weakness. And of course higher scores can also help with scholarship opportunities. However one thing I will say is that with only 2 years of experience upon matriculation, many schools will feel that's limiting, in terms of the perspective and experiences you bring into the classroom to draw from.... food for thought in case you are considering waiting say one more year! Keep us posted on how we can help.
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mqt001 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:14 pm
Thank you for your evaluation, I appreciate the feedback! I suppose my question now is to what degree will my work experience affect my chances of being accepted to any of these programs? Would a higher test score at least partially make up for what I lack in work experience? I would like to enroll as soon as I can. Also, do schools place any value on internships held during undergrad?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:24 pm
Sure thing, you are most welcome.

At the tougher/more selective schools, the 2 years at matriculation could be a deal-breaker even with a higher GMAT, really just depends upon your fellow applicants and how you compare. You can check out class profiles on each school's website though and you may find a few of those have fewer average years of work experience (top 10 schools tend to have an average of 5 years for example), which might help at those schools. They do look at internships and they can show some exposure to certain industries, or occasionally some accomplishments, and better to have them than not, but they 'count' the full-time post-undergrad experience in those totals when describing work experience. Tough decisions, I know... keep us posted!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders