Help required for profile evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help required for profile evaluation

by pavikasingh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:56 pm
I am a Food Technologist and I work as the National Manager - Quality Assurance & Food Safety for a leading food manufacturing company in India with a turnover of 100 Million $. The company is a subsidiary of one the top 10 US food manufacturing companies. In my current role, I am responsible for designing the food safety, quality and compliance management systems of more than 500 products manufactured across 12 geographical locations in 2 countries. Guiding a team of 20 executives based at multiple locations. I am also responsible for managing the supplier (a diverse group of more than 55 companies) evaluation and development program of the company as well as the ERP integration with the entire production process.
My second responsibility is towards supplier evaluation & development for the US firm directly as a part of their International Supplier Quality and Emerging Markets team. In this capacity, I work with suppliers
and co-manufacturers from SE Asia, Europe and Africa on a daily basis.

GMAT: 700 (Q: 74% V: 85%)

I have done my Bachelors in Chemical Engineering with a specialization
in Food Technology from the Institute of Chemical Technology, one of the premier institutes for Chemical Engineering in India with a GPA of 3.2/4 (Working part time during the last two years)

Was one of the 7 elected members of Student Association as
the Creative Head responsible for developing and delivering all internal and external communication for the institution in addition to other responsibilities.
Winner of many inter and intra college debating and fine arts
events. Co-founded a web designing platform while in college. Have been working as a free-lance graphic designer for around 7 years helping many for and non-profit organizations design their marketing and PR campaigns.
Teach Graphic Designing to underprivileged kids in collaboration with a non-profit organization, many of whom have now found career opportunities in this direction.

Have been working towards establishing a Non-Profit organization
(a craft and apparel store) that supports women with mental health issues by providing them counselling and opportunities to learn and practice their craft for the last one year.
Secretary- Corporate Athlete Team at work.

Vice President(Public Relations) - Corporate Toastmaster Club.
In addition to this, my day revolves around food: blogs, books, new product launches, on and off work.

Hold a Six Sigma Green Belt and ISO 22000:2005 (Food Safety
Management Systems, Lead Auditor) certification

With my background in operations and technology, in the
short term I aspire to learn the nuances of strategy, marketing and finance and apply them to the FMCG industry and build effective business models to deliver profitable growth for a multinational ecosystem. In the long term, I envision to establish a food tech consultancy firm of my own, focusing on delivering the required know how and resources to help small and medium food enterprises flourish in emerging markets.

I am applying to Kellogg, Duke: FuQua, Tuck, Ross, Darden in R2. Could you please evaluate my profile and chances.

P.S.: Indian Female, 28

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionKate » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:48 pm
Hello!
Your profile is quite interesting...and not the most typical work experience which is great. Should definitely help to differentiate you. It sounds like you have a lot of breadth of responsibility in your role too, and exposure to different global groups. That's great! I like that you have clear, focused career goals that relate well to your past experience. Your extracurriculars seem quite strong too. My only concern is your slightly low GPA for the caliber of schools you're looking at...but that depends on the difficulty of the courses you took too. Your GMAT is good...not amazing for a top school like Kellogg, but definitely high enough to put you in reach for those schools you list. Overall I think your school list makes sense...you may want to add in one slightly safer school (UNC? Emory? Texas?), but it depends too on how strongly you execute your applications. Assuming high quality, I think you should have a good shot at most of the schools you list (though Kellogg could be a stretch).
Good luck, and keep us posted if we can help!