Profile evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by souunited » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 am
Hi,
I would like to get my profile evaluated for business schools
Preferred Schools-Darden,tepper,duke,Kelley,ISB.
Indian Male: Age-27

Academics:
X-88.2%, Topper in History,Geography Group in school
XII-89.2%, ranked second in my school
Bachelor of engineering in Instrumentation and electronics- 85%, GPA:3.6, ranked fifth.

GMAT Score: 680, IR-7, Quant-49, Verbal-32, AWA scores awaited.
Work Experience:60 months in midstream and downstream oil and gas sector in India.

1> After completing BE I joined a reputed Petrochemical plant. Worked as a project engineer in captive Power plant. The project was related to change in fuel for the power plant. Hence new systems were installed for boilers and gas turbines. Mainly involved in planning and execution of erection and commissioning activities. Within a month of joining, I was inducted in the project team of engineers from diverse background. Learnt a lot about proper application of knowledge, team work, man management, time management. Worked with vendors from Germany during commissioning activities. Later, I was responsible for regular maintenance activities in the petrochemical complex. Hence I have mix of experience in both power generation industry and petrochemical industry.Total experience-21 months

2> Next, I joined GAIL (India) Ltd as a senior engineer in the operation and maintenance of natural gas pipelines and associated installations. My roles and responsibility include planning and execution of maintenance activities as per ISO, regular interaction with customers to solve their queries, ensuring customer satisfaction , monitoring safety and integrity of pipelines and associated installations. I am also experienced in SAP. In this role I acquired in depth knowledge about natural gas industry, learnt a lot about other engineering domains, such as mechanical and electrical as applicable to pipeline related jobs. I have also commissioned new pipeline segments and natural gas supply skids without vendor support, ensuring quite a good amount of savings for the company. In summary, I have been transformed into a complete pipeline engineer. I have been rated outstanding (a rating limited to only 15% of the employees) in consecutive years.Also I am a trained ISO auditor. I will be promoted to the post of Deputy Manager in April 2016

Position of responsibility:
1>Secretary of departmental reunion committee in college: Responsible for organisation of the event in close co-ordination with university alumni and faculty members-monitoring and guiding advertisement team, sponsorship team, alumni relations team and cultural event team, assigning well defined roles to individuals for smooth, hassle free and timely execution of the event day activities. Also arranged the on day lunch sponsorship.
2> Class representative for the entire course of 4 years- Acted as a coordinator between students and faculty members for organizing lectures, class tests etc.
3> Involved in organization of the freshers welcome event in my 2nd year of university.

Extracurricular activities:
1>Painting( completed fourth year)
2>Wrote travelogues for magazines of my painting school
3>Participated in various inter- departmental sports events in university, such as cricket, carom and bridge tournaments.

Passions and interest:
Photography and cooking.

So, this is my profile in brief. Kindly evaluate and suggest.Thanks in advance.
Soumik

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:57 pm
Hi Soumik,

Thanks for sharing/posting. You are part of large applicant pool-- Indian engineering/technical applicants, who often have high GMAT scores by the way. This applicant group tends to be great with the quant and analytical and technical portions of the application and of b-school, but the concern is whether they have strong leadership, management, communication, and team work skills... more of the people skills you could say.

You will have to work hard to stand out from this pool of applicants, from others with similar backgrounds! How? Dig deep and brainstorm on what makes YOU unique... b-school admissions decisions are made holistically... it's not just based on grades or facts or stats, but on a holistic picture of the applicant and what they'll contribute to the program, who they are as a person. That is primarily evidenced through your ESSAYS, fyi!! (And interview if you get to that point.) Elements you need to convey in your application for a chance at a top rated program include:
-what past experiences and skills will benefit you in the classroom, and later in your career
-what key traits and experiences make you UNIQUE; basically, 'why YOU??' vs other applicants
-why you want the MBA, with clear short term and long term post-MBA goals
-why NOW
-why that specific school is right for you

If you lack any of the above components, you risk that another well or similarly-qualified applicant who includes all of those, will wind up getting accepted over you!

You may also want to give the GMAT another shot; schools will take the highest score, and given the schools you've mentioned, it might benefit you! Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by niralisavla » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:06 am
Hi Jennifer,

It would be great if you could help me evaluate my profile:

My target schools: Kellogg, Stern, UCLA Anderson, Tepper

Experience:
3 years of work experience (on matriculation)
Decision Scientist at a Data Analytics and a Decision Science firm in India
Was appointed as team lead within 9 months
Currently working out of the clients office in Mumbai and managing a 6 person team at the head office

While at Mumbai I started taking interest in dad's business - (Multi-brand retail outlet - Men's Apparels)
- Run some analysis on stock
- Improved stock taking
- Put a system in place to collect customer data

Scores:
GMAT: 740 (49 quant, 40 verbal)
TOEFL : 112

College:
BE in Electronics Engineering , University of Mumbai (63% - Average across all semesters)

Extra Curricular:
- Won Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Award - created a prototype of a memory aid for the disabled
- Currently volunteering with Mentor Me India (Mentor)
- Have been a part of Leo Club in the past (Member, Treasurer)
- Organized various events at undergrad college

Post MBA Goal:
Short-term goal: Return back to India, scale the family business (More Brick and Motar stores and online store)
Long-Term: Introduce a private label clothing brand

I plan to apply to Stern, Anderson and Tepper in Round 1, and Kellogg in Round 2.
It would be great if you could also help me identify other schools I should consider.

Thanks,
Nirali.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:58 pm
Hi Nirali,

Thanks for posting. You have a variety of strengths to your profile, including your GMAT, demonstrated initiative, management experience, recognition and awards, volunteering experience. Your undergrad grades are a potential weakness, but obviously limited to what you can do about that at this point beyond excelling on the GMAT which you did. Schools ARE looking for qualified female applicants too. Sounds like a good school plan, but in terms of 'others', it depends upon what you are looking for. For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: https://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book. Let us know how we can help.... be sure to research schools thoroughly and reach out to current students and alum to truly get to know the student experience. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders