Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Here is my profile -

Age - 32 Years
Nationality - Indian
Education - Bachelor of Technology - Mechanical
Score in Bachelors - 79/100
Represented school/college in Table Tennis, Quiz etc.
Editor of College Magazine. Key member in organization of college events & festivals.

Work Experience - 10 Years in Automotive Industry
2.5 years - For an Automotive Engineering Service Provider in India
3 years - As an consultant Design Engineer for a Japanese Automotive Company in Germany
4.5 Years (Current Job) - As a Senior Engineer (1 Promotion in 2012, Will be promoted to Deputy Manager in October 2015) in a different Japanese Automotive Tier I supplier.

I work in a very international environment. I am an Indian national, working for a Japanese Company from their German Office. I am currently multiple handling projects for Swedish and Dutch Customers. My job also includes co-ordination of a team of 10 Designers and Analysts in Germany, Design team in Japan,Plants in France, Poland and Asia and suppliers across Europe and Asia. I am the Engineering Contact to Customers and am reponsible for the complete product life cycle from conceptual phase to series production phase.

Achievements in current job - I was the first employee in a new group focused on diversifying into a new product development for European Automotive & Truck OEMs. I was a key member of a small team which won a major business worth Euro 70 million/7 years. I am the youngest recipient (@ 28 Years) of a Challenge Award, which is awarded for extraordinary contribution to company growth.

I also represent my local table tennis club in league games.

I have currently started preparing for GMAT. I scored 720 in my first practice test.
I would like to apply, among other schools, for Full Time MBA / Executive MBA @ INSEAD.

Please help me in evaluating my profile and suggest other prospective MBA schools for Full Time / Executive MBA.

Thanks a Lot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionKate » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:11 am
Thanks for sharing your profile!

I think a key strength, as you pointed out, is your international experience. Not only have you lived/worked in two different countries, but your role involves working on very diverse teams and building relationships with global suppliers. That experience should serve you well in the admissions process. It sounds like you've had some experience managing complex projects too - have you had any people management responsibilities or is that a part of your new promotion?

Keep up the good work with the GMAT prep, sounds like you're on track to get a great score. For EMBA programs in particular, often your work experience and references are weighted a bit more than your test scores and academics. Also, since you've been in the workforce for 10 years, extracurricular activities from college won't make a huge difference, but it's still nice that you have some.

Are you looking at both Full Time and Executive programs? I'd say your profile fits much better with Executive programs. If you're looking for other programs in Europe, then check out IESE, HEC Paris, IE, IMD, Oxford, Cambridge, and St Gallen - I believe they all have EMBA programs.

Good luck with the process and keep us posted if we can help!

by ashwinks19 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:41 pm
Hello,

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
I have been managing a team of 10 engineers, actually, I selected and built this team over the course of the last 1.5 years. The promotion and new role of "Deputy Manager" will be my formal introduction as the manager of this team.

I am looking for an MBA program to leverage my technical know-how, hone my skills and acquire new skills and network to be a successful global manager in the automotive industry (Short Term Goal). Long term goal is to get myself into technology consulting and may be start a company focussing on using modern technology to
increase the efficiency and output of small industries back home in India which can lead to generation of employment opportunities in the rural parts of zither country and bring social and economic prosperity.

I am currently very busy at work and a typical week at work includes 60 hours at work during the weekdays and Atleast 5-6 during the weekend. I play table tennis in the local town club and have represented them in the regional league competitions. Apart from this, my hobbies include photography, biking and I am a voracious reader.
Please shed some light on the means to highlight these activities to make a compelling application to Top Business Schools.

With 10 years of work experience and at an age of 32 years, I think I am exactly in the zone where both the Full Time MBA and the Executive MBA are real options.
Please suggest a few MBA programs (Full Time MBA & Exec. MBA) which would help me in acquiring new skills and getting closer to my goals.

Thanks a lot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionKate » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:09 am
Thanks for the additional info - that's excellent you've had team management responsibilities - that will serve you well in the admissions process.

You sound like a busy person :) so that's great you've made time for all those activities outside of work. You should definitely include them on your resume, in a separate section called something like Personal Interests. These will be great to show that you're a dynamic individual.

Most full time programs in the US have an average age of between 27-28 so I still think your profile, especially since you do have that management experience, may be better suited to an EMBA in the US. Full time programs in Europe though often skew a bit older. Take a look at the European programs I mentioned in my original post - all of those should be great options for both Full Time or EMBA. In the US, I'd put Michigan Ross on your list given your goals in the automotive industry. Perhaps MIT Sloan as a stretch and then some safer options like Georgetown, UNC, or Notre Dame. Looking at the class profile stats, those schools tend to have a wider range of experience levels. But these are just some initial suggestions - it will certainly depend on how the GMAT goes and any other factors (location, type of curriculum, etc.) that are important to you.

If you want to chat more about these questions, feel free to sign up for a free 30-minute phone consultation with someone on our team - https://www.mbamission.com/consult/.

Good luck!

by ashwinks19 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:22 am
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Best Redards
Ashwin

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionKate » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:12 pm
You're welcome - good luck! :)

by ashwinks19 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:08 pm
Hi,

While looking at MIT Sloan MBA program, I came across the MIT LGO Program. How would you rate this program and would it make sense for me to consider it as an option.

Thanks a lot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionKate » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:24 am
The LGO program is a great option. A bit more technical than the MBA but that might be a great fit for your background and goals. I'm not an expert on their admissions process / criteria but I believe it's quite similar to the Sloan MBA. I do know that their classes are quite small and typically a lower percentage of international students, so it may be more competitive from just a numbers standpoint. But I would definitely encourage you to apply if you think it's a good fit! Good luck!