Second MBA from a Top School

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Second MBA from a Top School

by designstrategy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:07 pm
I am considering apply to a top MBA school (NYU, UNC, Cornell) because my first degree is from a for-profit online school. I spoke with Cornell and University of North Carolina, they will accept someone with an MBA, I would just have to explain why I want a degree from that school. However, I want to know if this idea is silly (obtaining a second MBA degree). I will not write two MBAs on my resume, I just need to get into the corporate field, since I am done with my active duty time in the Military. Employers are not receptive to online for-profit schools, so I need to do something to increase my chances. Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:04 am
Hi there,

Sounds like you are working on doing your research which is important in a decision like this; I'd encourage you to also research the post-MBA scenarios... for example set up informational interviews with HR at companies you are interested in and ask what a difference certain degrees or schools might make to your profile/hiring potential, compared with what you have now etc, and talk with those in roles you are interested in for advice etc.

Certainly a top-name MBA can help open doors. That said getting a 2nd MBA is not always easy (admissions-wise); yes many schools will technically consider you if you explain why you do need the degree, and it can work out with a strong story... but at the same time, especially at the most competitive programs, you are still competing with other very strong applicants who do NOT yet have the MBA and really make a good case for needing one... so even though a school may consider you, doesn't mean in the end you'll be accepted, depends upon how you stack up vs other strong applicants. Just keeping it realistic.

So continue to consider your options and what you'd most like to go for and decide on a plan of action. Best wishes!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders