Profile Evaluation Request

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by NI17 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:04 am
Hello,

Thank you in advance for your thoughts! I am applying to Judge, Oxford, Columbia, and Tuck in January but am nervous my application is not strong enough since I am not the typical B-school applicant and my test scores are low. I am considering delaying my application a year but would love to hear what you think:

1) I have 3.5 years of experience in the nonprofit sector and made relatively significant contributions at each of my places of employment (also promoted once). I am also the co-owner of a small family business and recently founded a nonprofit aimed at coordinating humanitarian aid abroad - both these projects are relatively new and in the development stage.
2) GRE - Q156, V161 (will take again early January with hopes of improving quant score)
3) GPA = 3.89/4, BA in International Relations, graduated in May 2011
4) In college, I was a contributing writer for the school newspaper and the Director of Recruitment for my professional sorority. I was also on the board of two other student clubs and a volunteer ESL teacher. I am currently a member of a modern dance ensemble and on the board of a small public interest organization.
5) I am seeking an MBA to help me learn how to best manage nonprofits. My 5 year plan is to return to the nonprofit sector and help improve process efficiencies. I would also like to help grow my family's business and my own nonprofit.
6) Female, Middle Eastern, 25 years old

My main question is, should I postpone another year?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:23 pm
Hi,

Thanks for posting. So your GRE Quant is in what, the 70th percentiles somewhere? Is that right or am I referencing an older scale? ;) If so that's pretty respectable; certainly if you bump it up further that's great too.

It sounds like you have a lot of strengths to your profile... non-profit experience plus small business ownership; strong academics; plenty of volunteering and extracurricular involvement, etc.

Hard to say, you are pretty borderline of whether now or future would be better, but most likely it could be worth a shot now if you feel you can put together strong applications, and make a clear and compelling case for why you need the degree, why now is the right time for you, what you'll do with it after you graduate and why each school is right for you. Otherwise, you would ask yourself, what might really change between now and next fall if anything, and would it strengthen my profile or not?

Good luck on your decisions! And if ever desired we do offer a free 30 minute consultation at www.mbamission.com/consult.
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders