North American with low GPA - NA & EAME Work Experience

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello ,

So here's my story. I graduated from an engineering university in Canada with a 2.2/4 GPA ( I have to admit , it's not a pleasant conversation every time I bring it up ) . Now this was back in 2005 when I graduated.

Since then , I moved into a sales role at a Fortune 500 Industrial manufacturer and later at a Fortune 50 Industrial manufacturer where I have risen through the marketing ranks fairly quickly in a span of 4 years. First within Canada and then an opportunity to expose myself to African and Middle-Eastern markets where I was relocated to Dubai on an international assignment. I am currently in that role and work closely with partners in Europe and throughout AME .

Besides the achievements at work , I have been an active part of Toastmasters , Startup-Grind in Dubai , and had other volunteer opportunities at United Way and used to mentor new immigrants to Canada through an organization.

If I were to score a 700+ on my GMAT , what are my chances at a Top 5 University such as Harvard , Stanford etc ? I am hoping for an honest opinion...Do I stand a chance?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:34 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Well, you've got some solid work experience and great international experience, and some volunteering on your resume.... but that said, with that GPA and the point you are at in your career, I can't see aiming for a top 10 school. With a stand-out GMAT and some awesome explanations of WHY you want the degree and why at this point in your career, maybe you could aim for schools roughly 15-30 or so.

Just keeping it real! Good luck to you.
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders