Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Non IT with low work ex, insights plz

by Arindam Das » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:55 am
Indian male aged 24 years.

Academics:
Passed Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering from Jadavpur University (a tier I tech institute) with honours. Equivalent CGPA = 3.7/4.0

GMAT: 740 (Ist attempt)
Quant=50, Verbal=40, IR=7, AWA=5.5

Work ex:
Working with Tata Steel India till date since 2011.

As a management trainee (technical)worked in several in-plant projects.
1.Successfully finished a product lifetime project with a 4 fold improvement compared to the previous trend.
2.Devised a new galvanization method which potentially saves $3.6 mil per annum. A patent is awaited for the same.

As manager projects (mechanical) worked in a greenfield project managing 2 project assignments. Was responsible for managing the supply and erection phases of both.
1. Reduced delay in project execution cuz of the monsoons by over 30 days by resource sharing between various suppliers.
2. Devised and implemented an online project management portal for my department. A similar system has been put in place across all departments in due time.

As manager projects (design) working for developing a computer based product lifetime management and maintainance system. Working in a team responsible for drawing revision and 3D model generation of the upcoming steel plant.

1. Youngest member in the team to get nominated from any department based on my expertise in CAD softwares.
2. Achieved the highest conversion rate for 2D to 3D.

Extracurriculars and Interests:
1. Co founder of the Tata Steel Music Club which provides a platform for employees to get together, jam and learn from each other while honing some in-house talents and gives them an opportunity to perform at various company events.
2. Guitarist in a music band.
3. As part of the cultural and sports committee have conducted various non-competitive events for the trainees in the company.
4. Completed all three levels of basic race training course for motorcycle racing in Dec'13. Love to travel and am trying to start a MotoTouring Club in my company soon.
5. Captained the Soccer team of our own trainee batch in 2011.

---
I would love to get an honest feedback as to what my chances would be considering my short term goal is to get into the financial side of a major tech firm while the long term is to be a social entrepreneur back in my country.
Plz let me know of both realistic & stretch options in the US which are ranked above 30. Personally would love to be considered for instis like MIT.
Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:45 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the 740 GMAT!

Overall you have a respectable profile, if a bit typical for an Indian engineering applicant. Try to think about how you are DIFFERENT from others with similar profiles... perhaps the interests and activities you are involved with are a way to showcase that. Try to show more than just the technical/analytical side of you, as that is already evidenced.... what people skills/soft skills/communication skills can you also highlight?

You will have to work hard to stand out from this pool of applicants, from others with similar backgrounds! How? Dig deep and brainstorm on what makes YOU unique... b-school admissions decisions are made holistically... it's not just based on grades or facts or stats, but on a holistic picture of the applicant and what they'll contribute to the program, who they are as a person. That is primarily evidenced through your ESSAYS, fyi!! (And interview if you get to that point.) Elements you need to convey in your application for a chance at a top rated program include:
-what past experiences and skills will benefit you in the classroom, and later in your career
-what key traits and experiences make you UNIQUE; basically, 'why YOU??' vs other applicants
-why you want the MBA, with clear short term and long term post-MBA goals
-why NOW
-why that specific school is right for you

If you lack any of the above components, you risk that another well or similarly-qualified applicant who includes all of those, will wind up getting accepted over you!

With approx 3 years (?) of work experience I wouldn't stress over 'low' work experience per se, but if you felt that taking another year would allow more growth and more leadership opportunities, then that would strengthen your application. Right now I'd aim outside the top 10 or so for best chances. Good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders