Profile evaluation of mechanical engineer

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation of mechanical engineer

by sekarc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:59 am
Hello,
I am a mechanical engineer, completed B.E at one of the not so famous college with 7.6/10 CGPA.Have 2 years work experience from one of the leading construction company in India (larsan & tubro*) in construction management domain. I mainly make tenders for the different projects. 10th grade 85%, 12th grade 89%. Been working at an ngo teaching underprivileged kids English. Been a active member of Toastmasters club. I am planning to take up an MBA from a reputed schools to continue a career in possibly consulting field. Have a GMAT score of 710. Is my profile good enough to get into the top bschools of the likes of Kellogg/INSEAD/Ross? If not, in what all ways can i boost my profile for successful admission into the top B-schools?
Also, considering my experience in construction field (Tendering & Contracts), which domain will be more suited for me to specialize in MBA?

Thanks in Advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:36 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. With your GMAT and academics, and some volunteering experience etc, I wouldn't say you are completely ruled OUT from the schools you mentioned.... but with just 2 years of total experience, and not sure if much leadership experience (?), it could be challenging. Ross might be a little more in reach, of those you mentioned.... that may be more on-par, with strong essays and application. In terms of strengthening, more experience is a plus; more leadership and teamwork; making sure you make an impact in your roles. Further solidifying your post-MBA goals would help, and in terms of specializing, you may want to focus more on your POST MBA plans vs your pre-MBA background. Either way, your story should make sense... what you've done in the past, brought you to where you are now, leads to the MBA, leads to your longer term goals.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders