Profile evaluation India IT Female

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation India IT Female

by nainika » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:17 pm
Hi. Please evaluate my profile.

Me: 25,Indian,female

GMAT: This is one of the toughest part to explain. I have given 3 attempts.
1st: 550 Q39 V26 IR 0 AWA 5
2nd: 530 Q48 V16 IR 0 AWA 5
3rd: 570 Q44 V25 IR 2 AWA (yet to be received)
So basically I have studied a lot for GMAT but I have not been able to perform well on the verbal section because of reasons that were out of my control. I never scored below 630 on practice tests, but with the exam anxiety I am unable to survive by the time verbal section comes. Anyways, I wont be giving another attempt now. I will try for colleges with this score.

Toefl: 107

Work exp: 3 years of experience by the time I join school. I was software engineer working with one of the best IT companies in India. 1 and half year of software developer experience and 1 and half year of entrepreneurship.

Software developer exp:
-SAP ABAP developer
-involved in solving technical issues for asia pacific and brazil regions.
-mentored and trained new joinees, prepared training material.
-work was highly appreciated by the head of the India office.

Entrepreneurship exp:
-heading a company of 15 people.
-working with few shipping companies and pharmaceutical companies.
-provide end to end SAP projects solutions.

Undergrad: Bachelor of engineering(Computers) 57% aggregate, from a good college(one of the best in the city).

Extracurriculars:
-Part of toastmasters in my area.
-Zumba enthusiast. (planning to get a certification)
-Event coordinator in college.
-volunteer for the corporate social responsibility at my office.

Recommendations: My boss in my previous company. He is the vice president. My project manager of the company where I had done my final year project. He is also the vice president.

Post MBA goals: to work in management consulting.

Looking for: MBA in strategy management. Schools with good placement record.

Concerns:
1.Because my GMAT is on the lower side I am not able to decide which schools to apply.
2.What range (ranks) colleges should I target?
3.As it is almost the end of R2,is it a disadvantage for me?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:25 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear the GMAT has been a challenge and you haven't quite scored what you were aiming for. You can include a brief statement in an optional essay about why you feel the GMAT exam is not fully representative of your academic ability, for a specific reason you can elaborate on.... it may not help, but is an option, keeping in mind that schools are looking to the GMAT to ensure you can actually handle the academic rigor of b-school. (Important!). With a score below 600, sounds like academics were not particularly outstanding, and 3 years of experience, to have a better chance at admission, you may want to look outside the top 50 in the US, or not sure if you are looking globally.... but think about schools which have an average score of 580-630 for a best range. Each school lists their scores on their website, or you can look down rankings such as the US News & World Report ranking for an overview, or search on Business Week, etc. Your entrepreneurial experience is a small plus and schools are looking for qualified female applicants, but it is a tough admissions environment. As for timing, yes the later you apply, the fewer places remain, and it can be even tougher to get in... you could consider applying R1 for the following year at this point too. Maybe even one more GMAT shot if you did that??!! ;) Good luck on all of your decisions!!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nainika » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 am
Thanks Jen :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:22 pm
You are welcome, good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders