Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Profile Evaluation

by shikha015 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 pm
Hi,

I need a little help from you.Can you help me evaluate my profile a little?
About me :
I a Btech(bachelor's in Technology (cse)) graduate,2011 batch.
Work experience: I started a company named MINDSTEINTECH during my last semester in college,the venture started off well,with sufficient funds to keep the ball rolling but in the mid of 2013,around may 2013,due to operational losses,We had to shut down our business.
July 2013: I cleared an entrance exam and joined a government company with an entry level profile

Now, I am really puzzled and a little jittery because looking at the track records of various top bschools,I can sum up that they're looking for someone with minimum 4 yrs experience.Though I started working on my own venture from since june 2011 and if i would apply for spring 2015 intake,my experience would sum up to be 3 yrs.
Isnt 3 yrs experience a drawback for me? or My failed business venture(though i have come out from it as a better person both personally and professionally)

Can you guide me as to how can i make my profile strong?I am yet to give GMAT.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:35 am
Hi there,

Yes it would likely be viewed as 3 years of experience, which is fewer than average at most top programs but depends what schools you are applying to. It doesn't have to be a drawback per se, but you may want to emphasize in essays and interview, why you feel that NOW is the right time for you for b-school (vs waiting a little bit), and what experiences you've gained during that time that you could bring to b-school.

The start-up experience is still good learning experience if you position it that way, and does show that you have initiative, drive & determination to a certain degree.

At this point you should focus on what you can still CHANGE-- your GMAT score and your essays! Focus your time and energy on those areas. Good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders