How is the GMAT scored?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How is the GMAT scored?

by AkankshaBlahblah » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:02 pm
Hi- I wrote my GMAT a couple of days back as a second attempt. After my first attempt went terribly, I took about a month to prepare again and took the in-person test. While the test was going on, I was fairly certain that I was getting the answers right. In the quant section especially, I was so sure that I got most of them right, so I was expecting somewhere around Q45 or Q46. However, when the test ended, I found that I had received Q33, which is really something I can't comprehend. I am sure that my quant section was not a bungle, so there must be something that I am not getting.

Can anyone please help me understand how the GMAT section is scored? That would be a great help for me to take care of every error.

Re: How is the GMAT scored?

by danyll » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:07 pm
Your Score Report – The Details You may be tempted to pay attention only to your Total score, but the other scores are also meaningful. Those scores offer you and the programs receiving your scores insight into your strengths and areas for development.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:23 pm
It is an adaptive test. So as you get more questions right, the test should feel more difficult. If you get them wrong, the questions will get easier. You'd have to study how adaptive tests work to truly get an understanding of it, but generally the exam finds your ability until you are getting a question right and then the next one wrong as it finds your specific ability level. Does that help?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by huntshaded » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:22 pm
The Specifics of Your Report Card You may be tempted to only pay heed to your Total score, but the other scores are also significant. These scores give you and the programs that receive your scores insight into your strengths and areas for improvement.

by gildedprofess » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:38 pm
Information on Your Report Card You may be tempted to only pay heed to your Total score, but the other scores are also significant. Your strengths and opportunities for growth are shown by these scores, which you can share with the programs that get your results.