Knewton CATS - variance in scores - GMAT in 2 days

Ask your questions about Knewton products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi there,

I know this has been discussed before...but I am really freaking out.

I have my GMAT in 2 days and am getting huge variations in my CAT scores 640, 590, 690, 590). And strangely I am getting scores 50 points lower than when I started the Knewton course - although I have found it super helpful. Before the course I did a 2 weeks using manhattan books and their exams in which I was getting 640-650 consistently but then I felt so much less well prepared.

I am really freaking out as I need to get a good score (my aim 680-700) and can't retake!!

Any advice or explanations?!

Thank you

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:30 members

by Jen@VeritasPrep » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:22 am
Hi omg,

It looks like you may have already taken the test (I hope it went well!), so this might be a moot point, but I can still try to offer some insight. That kind of score variance isn't actually that uncommon on the practice tests taken throughout the course -- as you learn new strategies, your score can fluctuate fairly significantly until you really internalize your approach. For example, maybe you try plugging in numbers on a question that you would have formerly tried to solve with complicated algebra; you get the question right (yay!) but because it's a new strategy, it takes you longer and negatively affects your timing. The more you practice, the more efficient you become, and your score will hopefully level out.

While full-length tests are a hugely important part of studying, I like to think of them more as resources for practice and review than as score predictors. Ultimately, the important thing is how you feel about the material -- are you confident? Are you working quickly but carefully? Do you understand your mistakes? After all, the only score that REALLY matters is the official one! :)

I'm glad you found Knewton helpful, and I hope this provides a bit of reassurance.

Thanks,
Jen
Jen Rugani
GMAT Instructor, Veritas Prep
www.veritasprep.com

• Page 1 of 1