School selection. GMAT- 710. Unconventional profile.

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I would highly appreciate your suggestions in regard to the schools I should be targeting. I am an Indian Surgeon, Co-Founder of a Digital healthcare Startup, which works to improve oral cancer screening via telemedicine in Indian rural demography, and author of a multilingual poetry book. I am 28 years old, and have 4 years of work experience (3 years residency and 1 year entrepreneurship). My GMAT score is 710 and I am targeting next fall admissions. I want to work with Healthcare MNCs and consulting firms. So far, I have zeroed in on few schools, on the basis of my Linkedin conversations and online research, but, I am still far away from the final picture.

List : Harvard, Kellogg, Wharton, Duke, Haas, UNC Kenan Flagler, Rotman, Mccoombs, and Emory.

In anticipation of your suggestions.
Dr Shaurya

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by EduSimplified » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:29 am
Hi Aabshar,

Your profile is very distinguished and thus elevates your chances of getting in. Apart from the list above I would recommend looking at Babson and Michigan Ross. Both have Healthcare concentrations and good placement history in Healthcare industry. I would also recommend going at a granular level of comparing curriculum to understand the differences between schools. Then depending on your learning goals choose wisely. Best of Luck !

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:23 am
Hi Dr Shaurya,
Lots of great stuff in your background! I love that you are not only an MD, but also an entrepreneur. Obviously, the Wharton HCM track would be something to consider, but your fit for other schools will hinge on more information than we have in this email. Top business schools will be looking for a strong sense of WHY you want an MBA at this point in your life: what do you need from your MBA studies, that you couldn't build through work experience alone? Why have you chosen not to pursue a surgical practice? These are all points that you can develop in your work with an experienced MBA admissions consultant, preferably one who has specific experience with MDs and PhDs.

One note: in my opinion, your GMAT should be stronger given your profile, so that's something you may want to address; either retake the GMAT to be more competitive at the top MBA programs on your list, or refocus more on schools where your 710 is at or above the average incoming GMAT. Also, you may be targeting too many schools in the first round.
Getting to know people at each of these schools with a profile similar to your own will help you pare down your list.
Overall, you look like a very interesting client, and a strong candidate.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me