Alternative Transcript Classes...what to take?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Alternative Transcript Classes...what to take?

by katemk » Thu May 04, 2017 11:03 am
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to apply to a part-time MBA program within the next year. Here's the run-down:

* 27 y/o female
* Marketing Manager in the Food & Beverage manufacturing industry
* 5-6 years w/e
* 3.1 GPA from a Big Ten school (non-quant major, but upward trend)
* 600 GMAT

As you can see, my GMAT is on the lower side. I actually looked into a couple programs back in 2015, and I was obviously told that my GMAT was a bit low. (It was suggested that my GPA wasn't going to harm or help me, FWIW.)

Moving forward, I think that the best way to strengthen my candidacy is to take 1-2 MBA classes at a nearby university to build an alternate transcript. IMO, this will prove my capabilities better than a higher GMAT score (I also think it will help from a confidence standpoint if I get a good grade). I also think it's a better use of my time than cramming for another GMAT attempt.

I have a few choices for my first class:
- Accounting
- Business Finance
- Microeconomics
- Statistics

I took an online extension course about a year ago, and got an A-. I have never taken a finance course, and I last took Econ and Stats in college (did not do well in Econ because I stupidly took it at a very busy and chaotic time, but I got an A- in my stats class).

What would be the best option for me as a first MBA course? I need to get a B+ or better.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'd also love to hear from either non-quant people or anyone that built an alternate transcript...thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon May 15, 2017 8:52 am
katemk wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to apply to a part-time MBA program within the next year. Here's the run-down:

* 27 y/o female
* Marketing Manager in the Food & Beverage manufacturing industry
* 5-6 years w/e
* 3.1 GPA from a Big Ten school (non-quant major, but upward trend)
* 600 GMAT

As you can see, my GMAT is on the lower side. I actually looked into a couple programs back in 2015, and I was obviously told that my GMAT was a bit low. (It was suggested that my GPA wasn't going to harm or help me, FWIW.)

Moving forward, I think that the best way to strengthen my candidacy is to take 1-2 MBA classes at a nearby university to build an alternate transcript. IMO, this will prove my capabilities better than a higher GMAT score (I also think it will help from a confidence standpoint if I get a good grade). I also think it's a better use of my time than cramming for another GMAT attempt.

I have a few choices for my first class:
- Accounting
- Business Finance
- Microeconomics
- Statistics

I took an online extension course about a year ago, and got an A-. I have never taken a finance course, and I last took Econ and Stats in college (did not do well in Econ because I stupidly took it at a very busy and chaotic time, but I got an A- in my stats class).

What would be the best option for me as a first MBA course? I need to get a B+ or better.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'd also love to hear from either non-quant people or anyone that built an alternate transcript...thanks
I think an accounting class would be helpful and it also might help to look into a program like MBA Math to show you can handle the rigor of an MBA program. Consider the GRE also as perhaps you will score higher on GRE than GMAT and that could be another strategy... Good luck to you. If you want to reach out for a free consult with us, happy to learn more about your unique situation.
Link for consult is here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/free-consult/