PythaGURUS Consulting: Ivy League Indian Aspirants: Imp Note

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Dear MBA Applicants,

IIT's and IIM's never asked you "Why you want to join them?" ☺ and you picked the wrong habit. WRONG HABITS STAY FOR LONG !

However, for international top schools, a highly engaging stream of conversation is very important. Understand it ahead of time and be prepared to GROW UP a lot during this process. The goal is not to get an admit- the goal is to be able to use that MBA to move forward in life, and that will happen if you build the resourcefulness.

What are some of the things that an Indian Applicant should get started with months before the deadline. I led a seminar last week in which I created a differentiation between B-School Dream and B-School Vision. What are some of the things that an Indian applicant can do in order to create an Ivy League Vision.

Start Researching
Prepare your elevator pitch( How to sell yourself in two minutes)
Prepare the right set of questions( Be Sharp. Do not be all over the place)
Start Networking: Find people you want to speak with, and come out of your comfort zone.
Start Learning( take notes: Do not let the conversation die out with time)

Do not limit yourself to only the SCHOOL's website. DO not LIMIT YOURSELF to only FORUMS while learning about schools.

I wanted to write and emphasize on the importance of conducting a thorough school research before you networking by sharing an example of a candidate who reached out to the school alumni network( INSEAD) and had his first successful call.

While we were thoroughly prepared with a strong elevator pitch, a very relevant set of questions that we wanted to ask, and we had also developed a strong sense of "Why do we want to pursue MBA?" and "Our short term and long term goals", we also sharpened our "Why INSEAD?" response.

Despite this being an informational interview, there are chances that the alum might ask us "Why do you want to join INSEAD?"

A networking call has no boundaries and it is imperative for you to understand that ahead in the game. It takes a lot of time in researching for the right reasons. It is not about telling them "INSEAD is My Favorite Destination". It is primarily about narrating "Why is it a Good School for you ?" They will be able to sense your unpreparedness if you are not well researched.

If you are not prepared, it is best to be honest and tell them that you are exploring and have just started having conversations with people to learn more about the program.

And if you ask the right questions( No Fact Based questions as suggested earlier), and seek the right opinions, it is easy to build a great camaraderie. The alum in the morning gave very strong recommendations to the applicant and advised him to even visit the Singapore campus before applying.

Logically, you should also understand that if you are not prepared for a call, then a networking activity will strongly work against you. i.e. "They do not know whom to hire" but "they certainly know that you are not the right candidate".
Also, for many of the top schools, it is likely that the alum you network with will be your interviewer. So, building that great chemistry is very important. And it is important to do so now. Right Now !

Network well and are thorough in your story. Researching on your story and building short term and long term goals takes a LOTTT of time. The first expression that comes out of you is very naive( even with your standards, and you won't recommend it after your own second opinion).

Network and Network Strongly ! Sitting in a room and drafting an essay won't get you an admit. Neither will sitting in a room, and researching about a school on the website. Be out there! The action is out there!

Common Sense:

1.You do not know what exists out there for you in your target school. You will know only if you have the ability to get people to speak with you.

2.If you do not know how to write engaging notes to engage the alums to speak with you or if you do not know how to have a powerful conversation while he is on the phone with you, then do not network. It will work against you.

3.Be prepared with your story, and know how a school fits in. The agenda of the networking call is never " Please tell me how can I get into INSEAD". Learn it and learn it faster than you have ever done.

If you are not aware of what am I talking about here, or if you feel that networking is a buzz word, and you have just been introduced to it, it will not make a lot of sense to generate theoretical essays. I know you are a "GREAT GMAT SCORE" candidate, but a lot of other things go into creating the right conversion rate. If you were recruiting for IIM Ahemdabad through CAT, networking would probably be looked down upon and no one will expect you to go out of the way. That is how it is.

Regards,

Jatin Bhandari
Regards,

PythaGURUS Education

MBA Admissions Consulting

www.pythagurus.com