Admissions- suggestions- gmat

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Admissions- suggestions- gmat

by alokbhatt93 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:56 pm
I am an engineer (B.E. Mech). Just appeared for Gmat and was able to score 700 (V35/Q49). Any suggestions as to what collges i should look for MBA?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed May 30, 2018 9:48 am
Not sure what your geographic target or goals might be, but given your background, top US schools would actually want to see a higher GMAT. It's no sin to take it more than once; on the contrary, making maximum effort is always a positive quality. So unless your targets are schools where 700 is the average incoming GMAT, you might want to take it again.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:15 am
alokbhatt93 wrote:I am an engineer (B.E. Mech). Just appeared for Gmat and was able to score 700 (V35/Q49). Any suggestions as to what collges i should look for MBA?
There's not enough information here to really be able to tell you! Not sure what demographic you are from-- and that 700 could mean different things depending on the answer to this question. However, a 700 is a very respectable score for any school-- so there is not any school that you would not be in the range of possibility. I suggest you sign up for this free webinar-- write your way to a top MBA--- as it is more than just the GMAT that matters and you will get some good insights about the application process from this webinar: https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/7884019930408879105 It is June 7 10 am EST.
Donna Bauman
Kellogg MBA

stratusadmissionscounseling.com
Receive more insider MBA info
Schedule a free consult today!

Meet Your MBA Dream Team @ Stratus

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by alokbhatt93 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:33 pm
I am actually an Indian, male, engineer which happens to be an over represented background for most MBA applications. I suppose that does dull my chances with these scores?
Again, how does one compare the efforts required to take the exam again versus the same efforts to be put into essays? Any suggestions in this regard please?

Thanks..

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:52 am
alokbhatt93 wrote:I am actually an Indian, male, engineer which happens to be an over represented background for most MBA applications. I suppose that does dull my chances with these scores?
Again, how does one compare the efforts required to take the exam again versus the same efforts to be put into essays? Any suggestions in this regard please?

Thanks..
The 700 GMAT for an Indian male is a crowded space-- that being said-- this is a solid score and if you have a compelling package overall there can be success with this. The question to ask you is where do you see yourself working? Why do you want this MBA. I just spent a most refreshing 2 days at Rotman in Toronto and their approach to looking at candidates holistically means that they are looking at far more than the GMAT. Have you progressed in your career? Is there something specific you want to do with Fin Tech? Rotman has some great resources there-- they have great relationships with the banks and consulting firms-- if you want to work for 3 yrs post MBA here that is something you can do-- and with this score you are above their average although they are looking at these other factors much more than just a score. If you want to break through in any program with a crowded space GMAT, you need to differentiate yourself in the Why MBA, why this school and understand the value you bring. I don't see the details here to tell me if you are doing that or not just from this. Certainly to learn more I encourage you to sign up for our newsletter: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... dmissions/ and then if you want to learn more about how we help people here reach out also for a free consult.
Donna Bauman
Kellogg MBA

stratusadmissionscounseling.com
Receive more insider MBA info
Schedule a free consult today!

Meet Your MBA Dream Team @ Stratus