Suggestion needed for good Canadian B Schools with scores

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Suggestion needed for good Canadian B Schools with Average GMAT scores and Application deadlines for 2018 (Province: Ontario).
Please help!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 pm
sd2611 wrote:Suggestion needed for good Canadian B Schools with Average GMAT scores and Application deadlines for 2018 (Province: Ontario).
Please help!!
You may find this list of top Canadian MBA programs helpful. https://find-mba.com/lists/top-business ... -in-canada
Just to give an idea-- the avg GMAT at Rotman was 665, Ivey 667, York 660. Hope this helps you-- but also look at what you want to do and which schools have the best resources for this. That's also important. It is not all GMAT driven.

by rohan_vus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:16 am
Donna@Stratus wrote:
sd2611 wrote:Suggestion needed for good Canadian B Schools with Average GMAT scores and Application deadlines for 2018 (Province: Ontario).
Please help!!
You may find this list of top Canadian MBA programs helpful. https://find-mba.com/lists/top-business ... -in-canada
Just to give an idea-- the avg GMAT at Rotman was 665, Ivey 667, York 660. Hope this helps you-- but also look at what you want to do and which schools have the best resources for this. That's also important. It is not all GMAT driven.
Hi Donna

I am looking for Canadian MBA too but am 39 years old techie ( recently gave GMAT and scored 710 - Q49 , V37)

Background
I started working in IT industry right after campus placement . However , since last 9 have been doing product development ,handling duties ranging from leading global design to leading deployment teams of our software across industries and countries . To be be frank , i have been pretty satisfied with work thus far as things are way challenging when you work on products that is sold/implemented globally as opposed to working for one client at a time (as is the case in an IT service industry typically).

The urge for an MBA came when i started to further myself in product management space and realized that whatever i have learnt or I am learning is through informal knowledge ,own experience and inputs/feedback from peers and is not structured . Hence in short term goal is to learn management in formal/structured way so that i can be successful product manager . Long term goal is to launch our own products successfully (own venture) - though we have technical expertise/excellence at hand but from go to market strategy, sales, long term success perspective it seems an uphill task without intensive immersive MBA education

My biggest concern from hearing from others is my age factor .
I was bit optimistic earlier ( when the urge for an MBA started) - since the way i saw this was that i still have more than 20 years to go for before i retire . However , now hearing from most admission consultants that my age is the drawback

Please advise
Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue May 15, 2018 5:27 am
You're right that age can be a factor that can negatively impact admissions, but it's not an automatic deal-breaker, esp. with your competitive GMAT scores.
How to make it work for you: first, use each school's stated incoming class profile to assess whether ANY of their class is currently in your age range. Rotman, for example, posts a maximum incoming age of 36 (https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/M ... assProfile), so that might be a school to cross off your list. Other schools post similar ranges. Then, once you narrow your focus to schools that don't post a maximum age younger than yourself, you can adjust your application to highlight your need for their MBA, using clear research about goals and what you will contribute to the class to help make your case for "fit".

To strengthen your chances even further, however, you might consider a part-time or EMBA. Sauder's part-time MBA, for example, shows an age range of 22-55. The cons of that are that you don't get the full immersion of a full-time program; however, the skills and exposure you mention in your post would still be a core part of the coursework, and you will build a network of very diverse classmates. Socially, you also might feel more comfortable not being a cultural outlier; another reason why a part-time or fully-employed MBA might be your best bet.
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me