Which school to apply?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Which school to apply?

by Michaelzbp » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:45 pm
This is my very first post in BTG. Any advice would be highly appreciated! A bit of my background:

1. Chinese citizen, 26 yo male

2. Graduated from Electric Engineering of Top school, with an additional Business Administration degree from another Top school, though GPA of both degrees ranges from 2.9 - 3.1

3. One year in the national office of a large international NGO. Responsibility includes expanding new branches (expansion plan), and business intelligence (build the model to monitor performance and provide insights to support product teams).

4. 2 years experience of world leading global market research firm in consumer insight department, promoted to senior analyst

5. Currently, I work for a world leading global logistics company (for 1.5 years) in global marketing strategy, planning, and analytics.

6. Volunteered Ghana for 2 months, and traveled to 5+ countries hosting/participating conferences.

7. Certified yoga teacher, with 3 years of part-time teaching experience

8. GMAT 710 (will try again in a month). Have not taken TOEFL yet but getting around 110 should not be a problem.

9. Career goal: Tier one management consulting; Marketing analytics�marketing strategy�strategy management in a global tech company (eg. google, facebook). And I want to live & work in Europe or the US.

10. I'm aiming for Haas, YOM, Tuck, also IE, IESE and Oxford. On top of that, Columbia, Anderson, and Darden are under consideration as well, mainly because my boss and some other great recommenders are alumni from these schools.

My questions:

1.Given the fact that I want to work oversea, is it realistic to target top tier management consulting? I'm a bit concerned that this would be a "stretch" goal for B-schools

2.What do you think about the school selection? Any additional schools you may recommend? I personally prefer smaller classes.

Thank you![/list]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:05 pm
Hi Michaelzbp,

Your interest in tech industry would be better served if you study in U.S., as most recruitment tends to be regional. You may read more on this in my response in this thread:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/advice-on-ta ... tml#780435

For consulting, you may see details here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/profile-eval ... tml#780366

My advice would be to pick a geography (of the two) which is more tuned to your interests, because once you join the program there, it'll get difficult to move to the other geography in full-time job.

There is no oddity in targeting top-tier management consulting firms because students from varied backgrounds commonly get into these firms, and they typically also happen to recruit in large numbers at lots of campuses.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:21 am
Michaelzbp wrote:This is my very first post in BTG. Any advice would be highly appreciated! A bit of my background:

1. Chinese citizen, 26 yo male

2. Graduated from Electric Engineering of Top school, with an additional Business Administration degree from another Top school, though GPA of both degrees ranges from 2.9 - 3.1

3. One year in the national office of a large international NGO. Responsibility includes expanding new branches (expansion plan), and business intelligence (build the model to monitor performance and provide insights to support product teams).

4. 2 years experience of world leading global market research firm in consumer insight department, promoted to senior analyst

5. Currently, I work for a world leading global logistics company (for 1.5 years) in global marketing strategy, planning, and analytics.

6. Volunteered Ghana for 2 months, and traveled to 5+ countries hosting/participating conferences.

7. Certified yoga teacher, with 3 years of part-time teaching experience

8. GMAT 710 (will try again in a month). Have not taken TOEFL yet but getting around 110 should not be a problem.

9. Career goal: Tier one management consulting; Marketing analytics�marketing strategy�strategy management in a global tech company (eg. google, facebook). And I want to live & work in Europe or the US.

10. I'm aiming for Haas, YOM, Tuck, also IE, IESE and Oxford. On top of that, Columbia, Anderson, and Darden are under consideration as well, mainly because my boss and some other great recommenders are alumni from these schools.

My questions:

1.Given the fact that I want to work oversea, is it realistic to target top tier management consulting? I'm a bit concerned that this would be a "stretch" goal for B-schools

2.What do you think about the school selection? Any additional schools you may recommend? I personally prefer smaller classes.
. I'm aiming for Haas, YOM, Tuck, also IE, IESE and Oxford. On top of that, Columbia, Anderson, and Darden are under consideration as well, mainly because my boss and some other great recommenders are alumni from these schools.
Thank you![/list]
First, congrats on your first BTG post! It's a great community and I hope you enjoy your experience on the site. I think that for management consulting you have selected some excellent programs. With the 710 from your competitive pool, I'd suggest Indiana Kelley, Cornell Johnson, Vanderbilt and possibly Kenan-Flagler also. Kenan-Flagler has a small class size that you might enjoy and also some strong experiential learning for consulting with their STAR program.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Saya Charming » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:07 am
You do have an Excellent profile. Go ahead. All the Best.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome