Profile evaluation request and some questions

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I would love an evaluation of my profile. In addition to an evaluation, I would love some thoughts on questions at the bottom of my profile.

Thanks!

Target Schools: HBS, GSB and Wharton in round 1 this year

Work Experience
Current: Product Manager - Analytics at top tech company in the bay area (think Google, LinkedIn etc.)
Duration of work-ex: ~5 months
Key points: Not a lot of measurable impact in terms of projects yet (given my recent joining)

Previous: Product Manager at analytics software company (400 person company that got acquired)
Duration of work-ex: 3 years
Key points: Managed product on multiple teams for a $70M product and grew multiple product modules from 0 to 50+ client licenses

Previous: Co-founder of analytics startup
Duration of work-ex: 6 months
Key points: Raised x10k$ money with 2 co-founders from MIT Sloan but ultimately unsuccessful

Education
B.Tech, M.Tech, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
GPA: 9.6/10 (Ranked first in my class)

S.M, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
GPA: 4.8/5 (2 years of thesis research with prof from the Sloan School of Management)

Extracurriculars
1. Guest lecturer for MBA class at MIT - Was invited by a Sloan prof to guest lecture an MBA class at MIT Sloan
2. Toastmasters - I was the president of my Toastmasters club (about 20 people and managed a club committee of 5 people) for a year in 2016
3. Play ultimate frisbee - Part of the local frisbee league that came 2nd in a corporate division C league
4. Chief organizer of a 200+ person symposium while I was at MIT

Awards
1. International: Award during undergraduate for academics and community service (fairly exclusive, think few hundred people internationally)
2. International: Indo-US collaboration grant awardee to carry out research
3. Multiple awards for academics for top performance during undergrad
4. Hack week/ hackathon styled awards at both my current employer and past employers

Stats
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: Male
GMAT: 730 (Q50, V38)

Goal of MBA
My passion is to drive organizational change and I have looked to do this by building products that drive decision making in organizations. However, I've found that building products doesn't truly drive change. Instead organizational cultures, management structures and incentives need to influenced and aligned. Applying to business school so that I can be more effective in this personal mission.

Recommendation Letters
1. VP of Product at previous company
2. VP of Engineering at previous company

Questions
1. Should I give the GMAT again? 730 isn't a great score given my nationality/age

2. I'm currently thinking of getting both recommendations from my previous employer, partly because I don't know how much of an impact I can make at my current employer (~5 months till round 1 application deadline). Would that be an issue?

3. In the remaining 5 months, how can I best improve my profile? Extracurriculars? Some thing else?

Thanks a ton for your time and feedback!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:54 am
Outstanding academics and experience. As you know you are part of an intensely competitive profile. Applying in R1 will be important. If you can improve your good GMAT by 30 points, it might be worthwhile. Add a note of explanation in your optional essays re your rationale for recommender choice. Over the next few months continue to challenge yourself, make that impact at your new company. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/