Request for portfolio evaluation for top 5 B-School

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Background: White american female
Undergrad: Econ major / math minor at top 30 university. GPA 3.0
GMAT: Taking in 1 month, on track to receive 730+
Work experience: 2 years middle market leveraged finance, 1 year middle market investment banking, (will be) 3 years at a top corporate VC as a Sr. Associate - hired as an associate and promoted after 1 year
Recommendations: 1 recommendation from the head of our fund (VP level) and 1 recommendation from a co-investor or entrepreneur I've worked with ("customer")
Extra Curricular / leadership: Sits on the board of 2 non-profits, 1 in the arts and 1 supporting microfinance. Regularly speaks at events at local universities for "women in entrepreneurship" and at industry events (mostly panels), usually related to diversity or gender parity but often just related to tech.

My big question is - does my work experience and GMAT make up for my low GPA or do I need to do something else to set me up for success at a top 5 b-school? Is there anything else I should be doing between now and September (when I apply) to get me into Stanford, HBS, or Wharton? There are not really any mitigating factors for my low GPA besides that at the time I was immature and having a bit too much fun in undergrad.

Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:44 am
Best advice would be to enroll in 2-3 classes, get As. That should ensure that adcom realizes you are now committed to your studies. Getting 730 on GMAT helps. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/