Low quant GMAT, MBA admission

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Low quant GMAT, MBA admission

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:30 pm
Hi,

I am an Indian female engineering completed by Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from US with GPA 3.9/4.0. I graduated in the top 5% of my graduating class. I have 4 years work experience in the Middle- East in pre-sales and engineering design role. During the course of 4 years I have worked on high budget projects and various international brands from Germany, Italy, China, Spain, US, UK providing electrical designs and proposing electrical products for various commercial and industrial projects. I have had volunteering experience with Habitat for Humanity.

The first time I took GMAT, I scored 530 (Q39, V25). I know I messed up on the verbal because I didn't time myself well. I decided to retake it and I focused both on verbal and quant while preparing again. I put more emphasis on quant since I knew I wasn't doing really good on it from what I saw on my practice exams
My second attempt- I scored 610 (Q39, V34).

I got As on all of my calculus and statistics courses back on school. So, I'm really confused- why am I performing so badly on quant. I just don't understand, despite going through all the prep materials, focusing on my weak areas and frequently taking practice exams, I continue to score bad on my quant.

My target schools are Rotman, Schulich, NUS. Their average GMAT is around 650 and I'm 40-60 points lower.
To be honest, at this point, I don't know if i have the energy or the resolve to sit and study again. I work 11 hrs 5 days a week. Only time i get to study is during the weekends.

I was wondering, if my good performance on my undergrad calc and statisitcs courses will help to leverage the low quant GMAT score?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:09 pm
It's possible, check the range of scores of the admitted students for the schools you are applying. Clearly your undergrad is strong, which will help compensate. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/