your advice is urgently needed

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

your advice is urgently needed

by yezz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:43 am
hi
I hope that you are in best of health and spirits.

i would like to take your openion on my approach to answering the following essay:

Please outline your career objectives and how the MBA will help you to achieve them.

i started with my motivation and personal philosphy satnding behind my career decsions to date ( 3 lines)

a breif that sums up my experiences to date ( 4 lines)

linking my motivation and experience to my current goals ( 4 lines)

my goal ( 2.5 lines)

School specifics linkage to my goals (11 lines)

My long term goals ( 4 lines)

Conclusion ( 3 lines)

the school did not limit the answer to any given word or lines limit.

I want to safe guard myself from drifting from the question asked however , i cant logically link my goals to the school unless i outline my motives, experiences to my current goals? what do you think am i drifting or not? also what about the total essay being of around 32 lines is that ok or is it too long?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:13 am
Dear Yezz,

Thanks for your note.

As to your question, it's actually a tough one to answer for two reasons:

1) You haven't indicated to which school you are applying, or provided any guidelines in terms of page/word limits that the school has imposed. Since each school has its particular nuances in terms of the approach, it would be helpful for me to have that information.

2) You have measured the length of the draft in lines, which is not a unit of measure that the MBA applications typically use. Most schools have word or page limits instead.

Having said that, the broad outline you provide does look like it risks speaking more about your background and 'personal philosophy' when the prompt requests information on your goals and need for the MBA degree. This is not to say that you can't have a bit of background content to set the stage for your goals (and lend logic/credibility to them), but I worry that you may be under-playing the 'why MBA' component a bit.

For more tips on how to approach a career goals essay, you may want to read this post:
https://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/05/admi ... s-essay-2/

Best of luck with your applications,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.