MSA/MAC profile evaluation.

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

MSA/MAC profile evaluation.

by AleksandrM » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:35 pm
Born in Uzbekistan, where I spent my childhood. Came to the US at the age of 12.

Other than English, am fluent in Russian.

Attended Penn State and then transferred to Temple University. Graduated with a BA in sociology. GPA = 3.79.

Was awarded a scholarship twice. Was named President's Scholar upon graduation.

Took the GMAT twice. 1st = 39 quant + 38 verbal + 6 AWA = 640.
2nd = 35 quant + 41 verbal + 5.5 AWA = 640.

Low quant, I know. However, took algebra, precalc, and stat in college and received an A in all. Took physics and finished with a B.

Not much in the way of extracurriculars. Wrote for a student newspaper while at Penn State. Nothing at Temple. Had to work to pay for school and help my mother with domestic expenses. Most recently, volunteered as a tutor at a charter school; worked with inner city children to improve their reading skills.

Interned at a human resources solutions firm for five months. Participated in a major project, which is a centerpiece of a team essay I wrote for one of the schools.

Have worked for a logistics company for a year. Serve as an import account representative there. My client is the biggest pharma generics firm in the world. Work with many parties throughout the globe on a daily basis.

Have secured a recommendation from the president of the human resources firm. Have also secured a recommendation from two former professors who know my academic work and know me personally, and are absolutely ecstatic to write me a recommendation.

Target schools are: Kenan-Flagler (UNC); McCallum (Bentley College); Carroll (Boston College). Will apply for the 1st round at each school.

Post grad school focus: 3 to 5 years in assurance services @ Big Four. Then, transfer to transaction advisory services (M&As, divestitures, and valuation).

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

Re: MSA/MAC profile evaluation.

by Graham » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:43 am
AleksandrM wrote:Born in Uzbekistan, where I spent my childhood. Came to the US at the age of 12.

Other than English, am fluent in Russian.

Attended Penn State and then transferred to Temple University. Graduated with a BA in sociology. GPA = 3.79.

Was awarded a scholarship twice. Was named President's Scholar upon graduation.

Took the GMAT twice. 1st = 39 quant + 38 verbal + 6 AWA = 640.
2nd = 35 quant + 41 verbal + 5.5 AWA = 640.

Low quant, I know. However, took algebra, precalc, and stat in college and received an A in all. Took physics and finished with a B.

Not much in the way of extracurriculars. Wrote for a student newspaper while at Penn State. Nothing at Temple. Had to work to pay for school and help my mother with domestic expenses. Most recently, volunteered as a tutor at a charter school; worked with inner city children to improve their reading skills.

Interned at a human resources solutions firm for five months. Participated in a major project, which is a centerpiece of a team essay I wrote for one of the schools.

Have worked for a logistics company for a year. Serve as an import account representative there. My client is the biggest pharma generics firm in the world. Work with many parties throughout the globe on a daily basis.

Have secured a recommendation from the president of the human resources firm. Have also secured a recommendation from two former professors who know my academic work and know me personally, and are absolutely ecstatic to write me a recommendation.

Target schools are: Kenan-Flagler (UNC); McCallum (Bentley College); Carroll (Boston College). Will apply for the 1st round at each school.

Post grad school focus: 3 to 5 years in assurance services @ Big Four. Then, transfer to transaction advisory services (M&As, divestitures, and valuation).

Thanks!
Dear Aleksandr,

I saw that you posted this question elsewhere in the forum:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/profile-eval ... 19304.html. Eric and BeatTheGMAT team discourage cross-posting, so please avoid it if possible going forward.

As to your questoin, I agree with the points made in the other thread - you should be competitive at the schools on your list, but the liability is potentially the GMAT quant. Just put your best foot forward with the applications and you should be in fairly good shape.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.