Where to take the GMAT? France or China

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear,

I will most probably take the GMAT next January or February 2021. However, I am not sure where to take it.

To explain the situation: I am a French national, currently working in China.

Thus, I was initially thinking of taking the GMAT in China... However, I know that the GMAT average score in China is quite high v. other regions of the world.

That is why, I was thinking of going back to France to take the GMAT, where the GMAT average score is lower v. China.

I have asked around me and my friends told me that the location where you take the GMAT (country) doesn't change anything.

However, the nationality does...

For instance, a 730 scored by an European (a French for example) is considered quite high v. a 730 scored by a Chinese is considered average / average - by some business schools.

Thus, if I take my test in China as a French national and I send my test scores to some B-schools, the location wouldn't matter, correct?

Thanks for your answer!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Absolutely right. Your nationality plays a role in helping compare your score with the group average. So, if you are a French national, your score will be measured keeping in mind the group average of French nationals. So, whether you give your exams in China or France, it should not impact your chances to any business school. Happy applying! If you need any other help, we are delighted to assist you. You can always visit "MBA nad beyond" to book a free session or put a query here :)

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond

With more than 8 years of experience spanning across entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship, Shantanu has worked across the globe as a Procurement Manager, Product Manager (Marketing, Operations, Payments and Risk/ Fraud), Growth Consultant, eventually unraveling his love for helping candidates with their MBA application as a Coach. Shantanu started coaching applicants, with his team, right after he graduated from INSEAD in 2017.
See Shantanu’s stellar success-partners