Essay Tips - MBA Prep Coach

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Location: Decade + of MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe.
Followed by:6 members

Essay Tips - MBA Prep Coach

by MBAPrepCoach » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 pm
Selection

When considering the "stories" you have to share, some are best shared by your recommenders and others, by you. In general, my clients craft outlines of anecdotes for their recommenders. These anecdotes should demonstrate how you model qualities such as teamwork, leadership and problem-solving.

Essays vs. Recommendations

"‹"‹When it comes to the essays, with most applications, you want to give them a PERSONAL dimension. NO WORKIE. NO. Work is for the rest of the application.

This is one of the biggest mistakes I see: wasting an opportunity for the adcom to get to know you as a person by plugging yet another work story. Even worse, one that might already be in another area of your application.

Let me let you in on a little secret. You want the reader to feel an EMOTIONAL CONNECTION to the person on this piece of paper. EMOTIONAL. And this is best done by tapping into the universal-type stuff.

Take the adcom to the movie of your life for a moment.

Do this now

Map out your Why MBA response in tandem with your short-term and long-term goals by 1) researching yourself (introspection) 2.) researching your goals and 3.) researching each school. This is the key to success.

Research your career goals through networking online and offline. Research each school the same way. and then write out how their offerings and your goals fit LOCK AND KEY.

Essay Checklist

"¢ The essays use anecdotes and examples that are written in chronological order. The reader can mentally see the story unfold.

"¢ The story is told in brief sentences in universal non-jargony language.

"¢ Each essay shows a different side of you, yet all of them feel authentic, sincere, and accessible.

"¢ They demonstrate self-awareness, personal growth, leadership and results-orientation.

"¢ You reach the reader on both an analytical and emotional level.

If you are seeking a coach to guide you on the journey, the first step is to fill out my prospective client form at https://MBAPrepCoach.com

Cheers To Your Continued Success!
Getting MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe. 80% admitted to top 5; 99% top 10. Curious about partnering ? Book a consult at https://calendly.com/mbaprepcoach